GT EL34M's in a Vintage Classic?

lgehrig4

I was at GC and I had forgotten exactly which Groove Tubes were recommended for this amp. They only had M's so I picked them up, but now I just read on another forum that the max rating for these tubes is 425V or something like that. According to my DMM, I'm getting close to 480V.

Anyone think I should try these or just return them? The info I read could be wrong.

lgehrig4":obaa4vjc said:
I was at GC and I had forgotten exactly which Groove Tubes were recommended for this amp. They only had M's so I picked them up, but now I just read on another forum that the max rating for these tubes is 425V or something like that. According to my DMM, I'm getting close to 480V.

Anyone think I should try these or just return them? The info I read could be wrong.

You had better find out the true max rating for the tubes because if they are really 425V, then you are just asking for trouble.

Thanks, but I already returned them. I corrected the bias on the JJ's and threw in some NOS preamps and I'm in heaven. Seriously, I love this amp! What it does it does very very well. The tone is head and shoulder beyond my skills.

lgehrig4":147crdzb said:

I was going to pick up some GT EL34LS tubes. These are the one's with the heat sink and good for 30 watts.

Steve

steve_k":1phxp46k said:
lgehrig4":1phxp46k said:

I was going to pick up some GT EL34LS tubes. These are the one's with the heat sink and good for 30 watts.

Steve
Yep, These are what's reccommended. Get the 6 or 7 rating and your good to go. Just peel off those stupid yellow labels they use now. They stay cooler than JJ's and I think they sound better. At 480 PV, I wouldn't bias much higher than 33MA or 64%. 70% with a Wizard scares me because the plate and screen supplies are a little underfiltered. At least in my MC they were. I would love to pickup a VC.

Back