How do you do underboard wiring?

ledvedder

I'm just curious how everyone prefers to do underboard wiring? In my previous builds, I brought the wire up through the turrets and folded it over the top of the turret. On my current build, I decided to try bringing the wire up through the holes in the board and wrapping it around the turrets, like in the attached picture. I'm beginning to think I made a huge mistake. Omg, what a pain!
FB_IMG_1660599831758.jpg

I guess I should have also asked what type of wire you prefer? The wire I have is stranded, which seems to make wrapping it around the turret kinda difficult.

I prefer stranded. Use a cigarette lighter to heat up the wire insulation to make it more malleable so you can straighten it out and move it around before soldering. Only when high current is involved do I switch to solid core.

I like to use stranded from the underside of the board, not visually check it, then have 300v from the 10k on the mid pot.
In all seriousness I like the valvestorm wire, except the pink. Stays together quite well.

I guess it's better to wire it up as in the photo so you can check the joints and make sure none of the wire comes off when you solder on components. But in my own builds, I simply stick the wire lead into the turret form the underside. I only go in about halfway, though. I don't insert all the way through to the top of the turret.

Whoever built that amp in your photo did a great job though

I guess I should have also asked what type of wire you prefer? The wire I have is stranded, which seems to make wrapping it around the turret kinda difficult.
You can very lightly tin the very end of stranded to help keep it together when wrapping around stuff. If you tin it heavily its not very malleable.

I agree with @FourT6and2 that the amp looks really nice.

Back