If you had to play in front of 20k people right now...

Would you be able to do it?

• Total voters
I've heard several famous musicians say that playing for a huge crowd is actually less intimidating because you don't even notice individual people. It's just a massive sea of humanity. YMMV

I've heard several famous musicians say that playing for a huge crowd is actually less intimidating because you don't even notice individual people. It's just a massive sea of humanity. YMMV
In my experience, big crowds are pretty easy to play for. The largest I've played for was maybe 1,000.

It's much harder to play for smaller or no crowds. I've learned a few tricks to attempt to make those fun, but that was a skill that took quite a few years of work.

Most I've played for was about 4k in Biloxi, MS of all places.

It's harder to play for a small group....

But, I've been generally fearless playing anywhere. I was a visiting professor, the hardest lecture I gave was to a group of about 12 PHD's. Now that is intimidating and bowel stimulating....lol...

I have to say that I have always felt much more relaxed on stage in front of 1000-3000 people than in club shows in front of typically 100-300 people. At big concerts, people had more fun and "cooperated" with us, at club concerts they watched the performance more. Since there used to be many musicians from other bands in the club audience, with whom we mostly knew each other, then I usually heard reports about myself, how I can't play and sing :D . It's true that my sloppy playing never really bothered me, so they were probably right :rock:.

Right now?

I'd have them pipe the recorded guitar tracks through the PA and do my best guitar miming

I'm going with number 3.
When i was in a band in my late 20's, i was married, 30 or 40 pounds heavier, and a sloppy drunk. i relied on my natural talent as a guitar player, and my youth for energy.

I'm 41, sober now, practice regularly, work out regularly, am single, and i love being in front of a camera, or being in front of an audience.
So i can confidently say, number 3 :)

As long as I was prepared and the band was at least competent, I’d think the more people would be easier because it does become a wall at some point. I never played for a tremendous amount 3/500 at most. As long as the band is solid, more people only excites me more.

Played for 300+ a few times. The first song on one of my last shows was in drop d. I was in standard when we kicked in. Ruined me for the entire first set.

When I was like 30 or so and in the Air Force, played a bar in Honolulu on a Tuesday night with our friend's band "The Quintessentials" (some guys here know them), and we played for them, the bartenders, a handful of drunks sitting at the bar and a few small monkeys they had in a glass case/played area behind the bar. Was so weird.

Anything over a few hundred becomes one crowd. Playing for a crowd is easy. It's the gigs where three people show up that can be tough, because you can see them watching you. It's like the less people I play for is more difficult. Playing love songs for my girlfriend is when things get the hardest.

This, i've played a bunch of large gigs, and no one is watching you that closely when theres 10 thousand people.

Club gigs with the other bands guitar players up front? That's when you're getting judged. I'm okay with either.

Back