Is this intonation tool worth the price , is it really that much of a nightmare to intonate a Floyd Rose ?

I use a clip on tuner and the harmonic at the 12th fret. If the harmonic note is higher than the fretted 12th note, the total scale length is too short, so to lower it, you move the saddle away from the nut on the neck. Likewise if the harmonic is lower than the fretted 12th note, the scale length is too long, so shorten it by moving the saddle closer to the nut at the neck.

You need something accurate but I use my ears and a clip on tuner and everything is fine.

If you need more than that, you either have a special scale guitar, microtone frets, or other complex non normal designs.

Last edited:
Just buy the $16 tool from Stew Mac, called THE KEY, it is the same thing and probably better made. If it is your first couple of times intonating a Floyd, it actually simplifies the process a lot, for not much money.

https://www.stewmac.com/luthier-too...69i92HhEuffv9QOX9Zxx1zKlgDjjl2LxoCO4kQAvD_BwE

I’ve always noticed on floyd rose guitars that I have to go slightly too low, when you tighten the screw for the saddle it makes it go slightly higher. I’d imagine this tool also fixes that issue too at the same time

The Key works with Original Floyd Rose design tremolos only. It won't work on Ibanez Edge, Ibanez Lo-Profile, or Schaller locking tremolos.

I have a Gotoh , not sure this is compatible .

I use a clip on tuner and the harmonic at the 12th fret. If the harmonic note is higher than the open tuning note,
It has to be the open note (or harmonic) compared to the fretted note though. The 12th fret harmonic is 'in tune' with the open note...always. That's just physics. They both have the same scale length. It is the scale length of the fretted note, also accounting for the slight displacement from pressing it down; relative to the open note that we are adjusting.

It has to be the open note (or harmonic) compared to the fretted note though. The 12th fret harmonic is 'in tune' with the open note...always. That's just physics. They both have the same scale length. It is the scale length of the fretted note, also accounting for the slight displacement from pressing it down; relative to the open note that we are adjusting.
Sorry, I meant the fretted note at the 12th with the harmonic at the 12th. Nothing else I said is any different.

Reactions: PDC
I use this tool. Yes it makes intonating floating trems easier.

I have also tried The Key. It does not work as well as the Red Bishop in my opinion. The Key does not “grip” the parts well and has a tendency to slip off in the middle of intonation.

I've used the key for years. It works fine. The beauty of FR guitars is you only do this once and are done. Intonation is the one place they genuinely are more of a PITA than other trems and bridges. Everything else, I find to be as easy and simple with them as others: just need the allen wrenches around.

Am I the only one who thinks the jaws should be more square, like the drawing shows?

Attachments

• image_67146753.JPG
    image_67146753.JPG
    894.7 KB · Views: 52
  • Screenshot2 2023-04-23 9.14.55 AM.png
    Screenshot2 2023-04-23 9.14.55 AM.png
    41.9 KB · Views: 40
Back