Jazz guitar basics?

Tawlks

I'm going on a trip to Germany on the 9th sep to play jazz. Represent my fucking town while doing it, thing is, although I can play jazzy stuff and know lots of cool chords, I'm not sure how to impliment it.

I'm expected to know the scales and patterns used in jazz, and I'm not exactly sure.

Can someone either tell me or direct me to a good website for learning this kinda stuff?

Thanks.

Tawlks":34vzk2ml said:
I'm going on a trip to Germany on the 9th sep to play jazz. Represent my fucking town while doing it, thing is, although I can play jazzy stuff and know lots of cool chords, I'm not sure how to impliment it.

I'm expected to know the scales and patterns used in jazz, and I'm not exactly sure.

Can someone either tell me or direct me to a good website for learning this kinda stuff?

Thanks.
Playing Jazz in Europe without being able to play Jazz...now that is some seriously large balls.

Here's the deal you can a lot of mileage out of the basic stuff...i.e. major scale but I'm not sure any one can beat the application into your head in a week without prior experience.
But assuming you know how to navigate a ii-V-I without sounding like a metalhead rootrunning scales the best "easy" advise I have is "bebop scales".

In a nutshell...say you play over a ii or V chord...i.e. Dm7 and/or G7 instead of playing C major (D dorian/G mixolydian) you add the major 7 to mixolydian, or major 3rd to dorian or major 6 to ionian.
So...for Dm7-G7 you'd use g,a,b,c,d,e,f,f#...the cool thing is that the passing tone (the added 8th note of the scale will always fall on a week beat if you start the line from a chord tone.

If you wanna get into that look for the David Baker books.

degenaro":1fbtsmj8 said:
Tawlks":1fbtsmj8 said:

Thanks.
Playing Jazz in Europe without being able to play Jazz...now that is some seriously large balls.

Here's the deal you can a lot of mileage out of the basic stuff...i.e. major scale but I'm not sure any one can beat the application into your head in a week without prior experience.
But assuming you know how to navigate a ii-V-I without sounding like a metalhead rootrunning scales the best "easy" advise I have is "bebop scales".

In a nutshell...say you play over a ii or V chord...i.e. Dm7 and/or G7 instead of playing C major (D dorian/G mixolydian) you add the major 7 to mixolydian, or major 3rd to dorian or major 6 to ionian.
So...for Dm7-G7 you'd use g,a,b,c,d,e,f,f#...the cool thing is that the passing tone (the added 8th note of the scale will always fall on a week beat if you start the line from a chord tone.

Hello,

Would the above ideas work as well on top of Pat Metheny 'Heartland', on the PMB album American Garage? It is such a cool tune, a few moods, a bit to wrap my head around. Have sections of it going pretty well. Just wondering.... what was he thinking, is there some logic to it all. I don't understand it, I just enjoy it for the most part.

Thanks,

Softail

degenaro":2br7pr5f said:
Tawlks":2br7pr5f said:

Thanks.

Thanks man. :)

I understand the major and minor scales and how to use them, I played in the jazz band last year afterall, and I can play the chords, 7ths, 9ths etc and work out what chords to use within a scale, allthough not easily on the fly, I'd have to think about it.

I think I know the basics, It's not as if I know nothing but I'm still worried.

degenaro":34a7wiqm said:

:rock:

I would say, think from the pentatonics (know all your pentatonic positions) and work from there to add notes, which are gonnna add color.

I don't really play or like jazz tho, but that's what I'd do...

Back