Just put an Aldrich in the bridge of my Standard.

James Lugo

What a great pickup. I had a Custom 5 in there for years and wanted try something fresh. I just bought another Standard and put WCR American Steele's in it and was blown away at how great they sounded so the quest to revamp my other Paul was on.... After much reading and talking with people I went for the Aldrich. I wanted something a bit bigger and gainier then a PAF but not something that sounded like a kids or a metal guys guitar with distortion pickups and the Aldrich sounded like the perfect blend. I also wanted something a little sparklier then my Custom 5. Well it was all that! The tone on the Aldrich is fat yet open and it has a great way of fusing the notes together to give everything a tightness while still letting it breath and stay open sounding. To me this is a great pickup and a step up from my old Custom 5.

:thumbsup:

Sunburst 06' (WCR AS), Black 01' Suhr Aldrich
IMG_2039.jpg

I too am on a mission to re-vamp one of my Les Pauls. I had the '59 custom 5, switched to Rio Grande BBQ/Texas combo. But just want more, can you describe the differences in the WCR's and the Aldrich?

I can't really compare tone because they are in 2 guitars that sound very different. My black Paul is a darker sounding guitar then my burst so even with a pickup change that still comes through. The Aldrich I will say is hotter, my black Paul has a more modern hard rock/metal thing then the burst which is a little more traditional. They both sound great and am happy to have both ends of the spectrum.

As far as taste, I think the Aldrich is better suited for the way I play and the WCR's are maybe a little better for making a variety of records, the less gain can make a guitar more versitile....maybe. Who knows, they both sound great. The black Paul with the Aldrich makes me crazy when I play it, it's perfect for my hands.

Back