Looking for some tasty ascending runs

tonmazz

Can anyone refer me to, as the title says, some tasty ascending runs. Looking for some that move up the neck, not just one position stuff. Chubtone does some great ones in his recent vid. I'm fairly fluent with the modes but struggle to peice good runs together taking logical parts of each position on the neck. Thanks. :thumbsup:

Thats all chubtone is doing on his runs. he is ascending in different modes of the same key - same runs played over each other and he is ending his notes in the same key as well, the only differences are the notes located at higher or lower octaves.

he also does it tastefully - very astout in his playing and attack or voicing of notes. that takes amazing phrasing practice and a good memory/knowledge of what you are actually playing.

its also a different thinking style - you have to be on your toes thinking about what you're going to play next and not what you are playing at the time.

i do the same thing, except i dont have a video as good of quality or amplifiers as good as chubtone, and i dont have a rhythm track being played under me.

take a look. excuse the messy parts. i was nervous at the time of the recording, also excuse the weak vibrato as this was within a week of adjusting to 10-46 gauge strings, and one last thing i appologize for is the weak lighting. its more of a listening video than a visual. i dont have a webcam or recording method.

Hey thanks for the Vid and the advice! Sounds great. :thumbsup: I think you hit it on the head when you talked about voicing and attack. I think the attack aspect might be where I need to work it out. From what your saying and showing, it is basically just being creative and knowing the mode patterns inside and out and how they interconnect. I get lazy there which is why instead of playing them fluidly, I am overthinking. More importantly is the mechanics of the attack intrigue me. I suppose I missed this from the few teachers I had. When blazing an ascending lick, are you lightly rubbing th string with the pick or all out picking it? These are things I should have learned years ago but missed along the way! Thanks again for the great demo! :rock:

what i like doing is looking at paul gilbert for ways to scramble your mind into very creative ways to play the notes of a modal run.

he is very good at visually showing you this in his instructional videos all over youtube and on DVD.

if you need help starting off in the right direction, i highly recommend him. but first you need to know where to play for the key you are in, and the phrasing you want to say. guitar playing is just like language speaking. say it too fast without knowing what you want to say and nothing will come across.

say it in a way people will remember it, and say it with meaning and purpose, and it will always be clear to understand and have a connection to the listener.

i have a habbit of choosing minor notality - i just phrase in this naturally and only mix a major in once and a while...and usually by accident.

IMHO the day anyone says they know anything is the day they limit themselves. no matter what anyone says they are always learning and as long as you are constantly searching for improvement to get somewhere :rock:

FWIW i have tried to follow paul gilberts "player's rule"

which he stated off of one of his videos that when you sit down to play, sit down to learn something new, no matter how small or large it is. do this once a day - or once each time you sit down to play.

after a few months you will be surprised, and with practice, you can retain the knowledge you have gained :)

glpg80":37494kpz said:
what i like doing is looking at paul gilbert for ways to scramble your mind into very creative ways to play the notes of a modal run.

he is very good at visually showing you this in his instructional videos all over youtube and on DVD.

if you need help starting off in the right direction, i highly recommend him. but first you need to know where to play for the key you are in, and the phrasing you want to say. guitar playing is just like language speaking. say it too fast without knowing what you want to say and nothing will come across.

say it in a way people will remember it, and say it with meaning and purpose, and it will always be clear to understand and have a connection to the listener.

i have a habbit of choosing minor notality - i just phrase in this naturally and only mix a major in once and a while...and usually by accident.

IMHO the day anyone says they know anything is the day they limit themselves. no matter what anyone says they are always learning and as long as you are constantly searching for improvement to get somewhere :rock:

FWIW i have tried to follow paul gilberts "player's rule"

which he stated off of one of his videos that when you sit down to play, sit down to learn something new, no matter how small or large it is. do this once a day - or once each time you sit down to play.

after a few months you will be surprised, and with practice, you can retain the knowledge you have gained :)

I will definately check that out. I agree, I have become complacent and haven't really tried to challenge myself. Maybe it's time! Thanks.

Back