Loose tube socket!

amiller

I asked this over in the general rig discussion forum but thought I might ask it here also.

I've got a loose preamp tube socket in my EVH 5153. Channel three actually cuts out all together if I touch the pre tube in V1. Two questions:

1) How big of a job is it to fix the socket for a noob?
2) Will having a loose socket effect the over all tone (I'm sure it does?)

I asked this over in the general rig discussion forum but thought I might ask it here also.

I've got a loose preamp tube socket in my EVH 5153. Channel three actually cuts out all together if I touch the pre tube in V1. Two questions:

Both are difficult questions to quantify.

Repairing a loose socket - I am not certain what level of experience you do or do not have as a tube amp tech. As such I cannot tell you how easy it would or would not be to fix the tube socket. It is not an overly complex task for an experienced tech. I will say that if you do not have a lot of experience soldering on PC boards then I would advise you to take the amp to a qualified repair tech. If you lift / destroy a pad or trace the repair will become a great deal more difficult as well as costly.

Tonal effects - If the audio is being disrupted then it would stand to reason the tone will be effected to some degree. How much so is difficult to quantify as I do not have the amp in front of me.

Good luck
Trace

voodooamps":1omqo5x2 said:

Both are difficult questions to quantify.

Repairing a loose socket - I am not certain what level of experience you do or do not have as a tube amp tech. As such I cannot tell you how easy it would or would not be to fix the tube socket. It is not an overly complex task for an experienced tech. I will say that if you do not have a lot of experience soldering on PC boards then I would advise you to take the amp to a qualified repair tech. If you lift / destroy a pad or trace the repair will become a great deal more difficult as well as costly.

Tonal effects - If the audio is being disrupted then it would stand to reason the tone will be effected to some degree. How much so is difficult to quantify as I do not have the amp in front of me.

Good luck
Trace

Yeah, I figured it would be hard to answer each question with any certainty. You did help me to make up my mind...off to the amp tech I go.

Thanks Trace

Back