Lower or Higher wattage speakers for the Modern Classic

glip22":2s52fwof said:
joshsage":2s52fwof said:
thegame":2s52fwof said:
I love the openess of the amp but sometimes prefer a little more compression for higher gain. I am wondering if changing the speakers will achieve this before I purchase and yet again lose on the resale.

I know what you mean and recommend hitting the amp with a clean boost or tube screamer for added compression. Wizards are very uncompressed amps !

I use a Bloody Murder OD with the gain at about 20%. It does work well and tightens the amp up. It seems some guys are running their MC's with the gain at 10 with the boost pulled. I prefer the OD in front and run the gain on 7 or so.
Thanks.

I run them with the gain at about 11 oclock no boost engaged, no boost in front, CRANKED. I really like the clarity I get from them.
Josh

How cranked? No wonder you are 1/2 deaf? Does the trim in the volume pot of the MC basically open full at about 1/2? My Cornford is like that too. I wonder if when I crank it higher I am already at the max of what my ears can handle, so I do not perceive much more volume the higher I go with the dial. :confused:

There's still plenty left after 5 or "12 o'clock " on the master.

glip22":evknrke4 said:
joshsage":evknrke4 said:
thegame":evknrke4 said:
I love the openess of the amp but sometimes prefer a little more compression for higher gain. I am wondering if changing the speakers will achieve this before I purchase and yet again lose on the resale.

I know what you mean and recommend hitting the amp with a clean boost or tube screamer for added compression. Wizards are very uncompressed amps !

I use a Bloody Murder OD with the gain at about 20%. It does work well and tightens the amp up. It seems some guys are running their MC's with the gain at 10 with the boost pulled. I prefer the OD in front and run the gain on 7 or so.
Thanks.

I run them with the gain at about 11 oclock no boost engaged, no boost in front, CRANKED. I really like the clarity I get from them.
Josh

How cranked? No wonder you are 1/2 deaf? Does the trim in the volume pot of the MC basically open full at about 1/2? My Cornford is like that too. I wonder if when I crank it higher I am already at the max of what my ears can handle, so I do not perceive much more volume the higher I go with the dial. :confused:

Pending what room I am in and what I am looking to do in a demonstration and who I have with me. I dunno where deaf came from, but my hearing is a sharp as it ever was. Its like a badass car man, at half throttle, you are wow'd and can't possibly conceive that there is more, until you lay the throttle down. I mean its my job to know and show what these amps are capable of. The MC100 is nothing really. Rick has made 400 watt amps (Wizard Warrior). I will see if I can find one on the site and post it up.

On the cranked statement, what is really magical is the spanking the wizard can put down on the power tubes and tones you are able to get from doing it.

Josh

I have been using a Scumback M75 and H75 with two Celestion G12-65's, one vintage, one reissue. Sounds really nice. I think I am satisfied with this combo. The G12-65's seem very similar to the Scumback M's.

thegame":1dmokv5a said:
glip22":1dmokv5a said:
two Celestion G12-65's, one vintage, one reissue.

Notice any difference ? Does the vintage one have the lead cone ?
It is a 1979 with the 1777 lead cone. If it wasn't for a little solder on the pad, I would have thought it was new. It's hard to tell without isolating it. They seem very close. And they both sound very close to the Scumback M. I'm really liking these speakers.

Back