M4 single channel vs dual channel

Scothron

Kind of a two parter here. Has anyone actually noticed a difference in tone between the single channel m4 w/ fx loop and dual channel without? I recently purchased my first m4. It is a single channel and I've read that Bruce said taking out the fx loop improved the tone. Which leads me to my second question, what is the point of the loop on the first version of the m4 anyways. When you separate pre amp/power amp. Your effects loop is anything I between.

I've never tried an M4 single, but owned an RM4 with the loops. There is a perceivable difference in tone between these two units, RM4 sounded "boxy" in comparison to my ears. Bruce said himself somewhere on here many moons ago that the loop was scrapped to preserve the signal path. Simply put, the loop is completely unnecessary IMO unless perhaps using some time based fx in parallel.

That's what I assumed. I have a single channel now, I'd love to pick up a dual channel but I'd need to sell of my single first, and if a dual Ian open at the time, then in stuck with nothing, lol

I am an early adopter and will tell you flat, go get a dual M4. They pop up on here for 650-750 from time to time. They are worth every penny. Find someone slipping and grab it. I will never sell mine. Ever.

I haven't seen a single on here for sometime. I won't try to dictate market value, but I recall them popping up for around 500-550 a few years ago.

There is a dual for sale loaded right now on grailtone for $1550. Might want to see if he'll part it out. Grailtone is also a good place to get info on modular stuff. Happy hunting.

http://mtsforum.grailtone.com/viewtopic.php?t=20764

So what exactly is the dual channel? Each module has 2 channels? I have a single channel M4...

Are most of the aftermarket modules (Savation/Jaded Faith) supported by my single channel M4?

chrismilne":2pehw1dl said:
So what exactly is the dual channel? Each module has 2 channels? I have a single channel M4...
A dual channel has two channels, each of the channels have their own Master and Gain but shared EQ.

You can use duals in any single channel amp / preamp but unless a dual is fitted with a switch by default you only get one channel - think it's A (cant remember, all my duals have the switch). Either way a single channel amp cannot switch between the dual channels via footswitch - this is only possible on a dual amp (M4, Mod 50 /100, dual modded RM100).

Here are some duals so you get the idea:

18112012016.jpg

The switch last on the right is the channel switch!

chrismilne":2pehw1dl said:
Are most of the aftermarket modules (Savation/Jaded Faith) supported by my single channel M4?
In a word yes - normally you send the modders a single channel module you already own to mod (sometimes they have modules for sale). However as you can see from the picture above it's possible to get a dual modded too

Hope that helps - let us know if you have any more questions :)

I use a dual channel M4 with dual mods. I love my rig. Before you get bummed about your single channel version, here are a few positives to consider:

1. Use the pre loop output and you have the same signal path as the dual M4.
2. Depending on your needs, it may be nice having the parallel loop for processors that don't have a true analog dry thu path.
3. You can put a "jumper" cable in the parallel loop to get another tube in the mix for some extra harmonic content. Using an midi audio switcher, it can provide a great programmable boost function.
4. Rob at Jaded Faith who has provided me with dual channel mods will tell you he prefers the singles for the mod platform as the pcb is more robust and the traces are not so close to create potential noise and oscillation issues.
5. Single channel mods are cheaper.

I'm sure that early M4 is built like a tank and I'd still hold on to it. :rock:

I never got the whole dual thing. But I play clean or heavy. So I guess if you play a lot of in between you could get use out of it. I always preferred single channels on MTS stuff

Back