Mesa Rev F Repair Woes

Update on this old thread, I got this amp back in December and just forgot to say anything. It's been repaired by Mike B at Mesa and he did a fantastic job. According to his notes, this damage was caused by a flyback voltage from a shorted power tube, and the Mk III style transformers used on this early Rev F do not have a lead to do... something. I'm going from memory here as I misplaced the papers, but basically it said that later Rev F's and Rev G's wouldn't have this problem because the transformers are different.

I'm not willing to give up the early/og transformers, so I'll be extra careful about power tubes in this one so it doesn't happen again, but the repair looks very solid - of course. Glad to have it back and it sounds absolutely wonderful. Here's the repair spot now, to compare to before. Big melted orange colored capacitors are gone, more modern black ones in place, traces on the board repaired.... nice. Everything else on the amp checked out nice and healthy, even as old as it is, so it's still sporting otherwise original caps and components.

NFX_5912.jpg

It's truthfully a modern marvel that Mesa still takes on jobs like this when the world is headed in the other direction. Fantastic outcome!
For sure.

But I read in another thread recently that Mike Bendinelli is no longer doing repairs/mods? Or did I read that wrong? Maybe it was just mods. I've read that in several places now. Was considering sending my new Dual to him but decided not to waste his time.

For sure.

But I read in another thread recently that Mike Bendinelli is no longer doing repairs/mods? Or did I read that wrong? Maybe it was just mods. I've read that in several places now. Was considering sending my new Dual to him but decided not to waste his time.

No harm in reaching out to ask. I've only heard rumours of specific repairs, like people sending in Mark IIs for C+ conversions. It's elective work (and usually requested so the owner can flip a $2k amp for $10k or whatever), so I can see why Mike declines. I've also heard he's trying to wind things down for retirement, but again, I'm just parroting a rumour when I say that. This thread contradicts reports of him declining repair work (as of mid-2023, anyway).

Why not email Mesa and see?

rumours of specific mods, like people sending in Mark IIs for C+ conversions.

Why not email Mesa and see?
*fixed

But I know what you meant. Yeah, I've heard the winding down thing. I'm not ready to call Mesa because I'm not even sure what I want/need if anything. I just got it. :D

It'll be a sad day when Mike Bendinelli finally retires. His name is on the paperwork for this amp so I figure he's at least still taking repairs, although part of the reason it took a while is that he took a month vacation or something like that - well deserved I'm sure. Dang, I should've had him sign the amp!

I don't know how close he is to retirement, probably depends on what kind of schedule/salary/benefits he's getting from Mesa. In my mind he should basically be in the "name his own price" category but I doubt corporate Gibson feels that way. Also worth mentioning that this whole repair was relatively inexpensive considering the extent of the damage, and I was extremely surprised by that - $290 for parts and labor. I used Pirateship one way and they paid the return shipping. I had a Hiwatt repaired at a local shop and it was nearly $350 for one filter cap and one resistor on the power board replacement (also why I do repairs like this myself now)... the difference between a shop billing me for 8 hours bench time because they didn't know the amp, versus sending an amp like this to Mesa directly who know exactly what they are doing and can complete the repair in short order.

Can add I just had Mike do my IIc+ from non eq to eq and ++ treatment. Seems like it’s coming to an end pretty soon as he’s getting real specific about what he’ll take on. Typically you’ll email him directly for any of these kinds of jobs. Also supposedly I was one of the last to get the IIc+ put in a iii chassis for the eq mod as they’re out of them now. Just a rumor there though.

how do ya'll go about getting mike on your repairs/maintenance? I reached out them a couple weeks ago and some other dude contacted me.

how do ya'll go about getting mike on your repairs/maintenance? I reached out them a couple weeks ago and some other dude contacted me.
He will only do VERY specific work. You can’t just call and ask Mike to do your repairs or service. Usually mods at this point from my understanding.

I called the generic Mesa repair line, so I never spoke to Mike directly at all or asked for him. I wasn't asking for anything special or custom so I prefer to just go through the proper channels rather than circumventing the process. I had a TC50 repaired at the same time (MOSFET failure) and they graciously covered that under "warranty" even though the amp is 6 years old and I'm the 2nd owner... I hope no one got in trouble for that but it was an incredibly nice gesture.

If you are just having repairs/maintenance done, just call and get an RMA# and send it in. I think you can trust Mesa to do a good job on the repair, even if you don't get Mike specifically. I do know that Mike is the only one who knows how to do certain repairs (like this Rev F) so if it's serious enough, it goes to him. If it's just a regular cap job or something, I would have no qualms about having someone else on their staff do the work, so that Mike's time is better prioritized for the more serious stuff. Just my opinion there. I spoke to Richard D on the phone a couple of times and he got everything set straight for me no problem, hassle free.

---

I found the paperwork by the way. Just wanted to put this information here in case someone googles this 5 years from now and finds this thread.
Mike B's notes on the repair:

Finished rebuilding burned +/- 3 volt HTR and relay supply. This kind of burn up can happen when a power tube blows and put plate voltage to the heater winding. (Newer ones have a grounded center tap on the 6.3 winding so this can't occur. This early tranny does not have that tap.) Also the 220 ohm 5 watt resistor for the LDR supply was breaking loose. Pulled it and its filter cap and replaced it with a bigger leaded resistor.

He also did the pots/jacks/tube socket cleaning, soldered LDR leaders, refurbed indicator LED, general cleanup stuff, which is always appreciated.

I called the generic Mesa repair line, so I never spoke to Mike directly at all or asked for him. I wasn't asking for anything special or custom so I prefer to just go through the proper channels rather than circumventing the process. I had a TC50 repaired at the same time (MOSFET failure) and they graciously covered that under "warranty" even though the amp is 6 years old and I'm the 2nd owner... I hope no one got in trouble for that but it was an incredibly nice gesture.

If you are just having repairs/maintenance done, just call and get an RMA# and send it in. I think you can trust Mesa to do a good job on the repair, even if you don't get Mike specifically. I do know that Mike is the only one who knows how to do certain repairs (like this Rev F) so if it's serious enough, it goes to him. If it's just a regular cap job or something, I would have no qualms about having someone else on their staff do the work, so that Mike's time is better prioritized for the more serious stuff. Just my opinion there. I spoke to Richard D on the phone a couple of times and he got everything set straight for me no problem, hassle free.

---

I found the paperwork by the way. Just wanted to put this information here in case someone googles this 5 years from now and finds this thread.
Mike B's notes on the repair:

He also did the pots/jacks/tube socket cleaning, soldered LDR leaders, refurbed indicator LED, general cleanup stuff, which is always appreciated.
Thanks for posting his diagnosis, that's interesting.

Back