Mesa Strategy 500 questiom

frontline205

I have a Mesa strategy 500 power amp. It’s has this issue where channel A doesn’t sound as loud as a power amp with 6 power amp tubes should. And channel B doesn’t produce sound. I don’t think it’s the transformer because I do get solid sound from channel A. Could it be the tubes? It has the original Mesa tubes and has sat for at least a decade before I plugged it in last week.

Any of you guys have an idea of what I should try before scheduling a tech visit

I have a Mesa strategy 500 power amp. It’s has this issue where channel A doesn’t sound as loud as a power amp with 6 power amp tubes should. And channel B doesn’t produce sound. I don’t think it’s the transformer because I do get solid sound from channel A. Could it be the tubes? It has the original Mesa tubes and has sat for at least a decade before I plugged it in last week.

Any of you guys have an idea of what I should try before scheduling a tech visit
If you haven't flipped out the tubes yet, I'd Def look there. If you have funds to send it off for a full looksie, wouldn't hurt but always start with the tubes. Also, sometimes dust and stuff will get into a tube socket somehow. If this happens w power tubes, it can cause issues like this IME. Just even reseating all of the tubes and trying again may yield different results. Best of luck!!

Tubes wouldn’t hurt, but it’s probably about time for service at Mesa. I sent out a Coliseum 300, and it came back like new
Yea it’s probably about time for a service anyway. I’m hoping all the tubes are good because those old Mesa tubes are original, but we’ll find out

It needs a service. Those filter caps are likely dried up.

Also, those tubes might be completely fine. Only way to tell is to test them. Do you have a picture of what tubes are in it?

I just bought a Peavey 60/60 for super cheap; one of the channels was super quiet but the other worked. Got the amp, opened it up and it was a dust fest...like, caked on everywhere. Cleaned it out, tubes and all...the tubes tested at 120 so like new, and after cleaning the amp sounds perfect. All it needed was the dust removed and deoxit on the pots/tube sockets. Sounds like a million bucks now.
Thankfully it was a simple fix.

Also, those tubes might be completely fine. Only way to tell is to test them. Do you have a picture of what tubes are in it?

Attachments

• IMG_2694.jpeg
    IMG_2694.jpeg
    3.9 MB · Views: 21
  • IMG_2696.jpeg
    IMG_2696.jpeg
    3 MB · Views: 22
  • IMG_2697.jpeg
    IMG_2697.jpeg
    3.2 MB · Views: 18
You

you see those I think are the original Mesa tubes that came with the amp from factory so I hope they’re okay. I’ll have cash after Christmas to take it in for service

Back