Music Theory Book

cameron711

Hi All,

Was wondering if anyone had a good book on Musical Theory for the guitar? I haven't had lessons in over 8 years and I find myself fixating on Natural minor keys and and minor pentatonic scales, and want to freshen up a bit.

thanks!

how deep do you need it to be? there are GREAT source of info on the internet if you know where to look.

you just need a detail description of the modes you should learn and in which order.

for example:

Triads
Major Minor scales
harmony
etc etc

that's what I'm looking for :( can someone help me put my knowledge priority in order?

The best books by a mile are the Guitar Grimoire series. There's so much info in them that it's sick!

I grew up old school with the very dense Ted Green "Chord Chemistry" and then his Chord and single note soloing books for jazz. You really have to nerd out on these old books and some of the content is inaccessible to those who don't now how to read. So, the Don Latarski books that came out in the 90s are IMO the best to access a lot of good theory info without needing to read standard notation. I've taught college level music theory as well as private motivated guitar students who didn't read well. The Latarski books are the best for the later. Killer shit, yo. :thumbsup:

John Czajkowski":3shr9shf said:
I grew up old school with the very dense Ted Green "Chord Chemistry" and then his Chord and single note soloing books for jazz. You really have to nerd out on these old books and some of the content is inaccessible to those who don't now how to read. So, the Don Latarski books that came out in the 90s are IMO the best to access a lot of good theory info without needing to read standard notation. I've taught college level music theory as well as private motivated guitar students who didn't read well. The Latarski books are the best for the later. Killer shit, yo. :thumbsup:

I took John's theory class in high school, i didn't take it to seriously at the time but some years later i went back and began to read and digest several of the latarski books including the one i received in his class, they truly are great books and got me interested in theory again! needless to say, as soon as i receive my degree in audio engineering here in LA, I will be moving back down to san diego to acquire a degree in music theory at SDSU.

There are many online music books shop open in shortly. you can easily download the music book without any pay money and it is totally free.All types of the music e-books ,material and worksheet you get easily help of the Internet.

It’s been a while since I played my guitar and reading these posts has really inspired me and those are some great books that have been recommended here! Just checked them out and each one seems better than the first though I think that Guitar Grimoire has an edge above the others!!

Back