My Voodoo V-Plex ended up being a V-Rock.........

Laars

So on Monday I find a Guitar Center Ad for a used Voodoo V-Plex. I played through one a few years ago and was BLOWN Away! I called them up, and bought it. The guy tells me the thing is mint. (it really is too).

I wait all day and my Voodoo amp showed up. Now the down side of this story (I think?)

Not sure how to react to it. The ad from Guitar Center said, Voodoo V-Plex. Got the amp and plugged in, and knew something was wrong. Sort of anyway. Wrong in the sense that it didn't sound like the V-plex I played through in 2008.

The amp sounded like my modded stuff I had in the 80s. KILLER TONE, but not a plexi tone. WAY TOO MUCH GAIN........ I had Rivera modded Marshalls and Bedrocks in the day. Some of the plexi things are in there, but something is not right.....

Called up Voodoo, and it seems the guy who had the amp had it converted to a V-ROCK and didn't tell GCenter...... Amp still says V-PLEX on the front. At first I was sick to my stomach. I really wanted the V-plex. Cindy at Voodoo said no problem, they can put it back to a V-plex. (On a side note, Cindy and Trace were real nice about me calling and asking a lot of questions even though I bought the amp from GCenter used. I would totally do business with them in a heartbeat). Thank you Trace.

So after I got of the phone with Cindy, I plugged in the amp again. Even though its not what I wanted, I don't think I can send it in to be put back to a V-plex. Its a great sounding amp!!!

For an amp that I guess is suppose to sound JCM800ish, it actually sounds to me like a hot rodded Plexi. I had a lot of JCM800s back in the 80s and really not a big fan of them. This Voodoo V-Rock seems to really kick ass. I backed off the gain (a lot) and it seems to get that old AC/DC tone which is what I wanted the V-Plex for anyway.

So for now, I'm gonna play it as it is, and if I change my mind, Trace said he can put it back to how it was, so I really can't lose either way. Of course, being a guitar player and OCD like the rest of us, I might just have to keep looking for a V-Plex, and just enjoy the V-Rock.

I saw that amp myself. Villa Park, IL GC, right?

Give it some time, I think you'll enjoy it. I'm a big V-Rock fan. Sure, it's not a V-Plex, but the tones inside that thing are magical.

Let us know what you think after a week or so.

Yep.... Thats was the one. Its in AWESOME condition. Sounds killer. Just didn't sound like I was expecting. Funny thing is, I turn down the gain to about 10 o'clock, and the sound is almost what I had expected from the V-plex. Still very touch sensitive, and the harder you hit, the more it breaks up. Wish I had this back in the 80s. Trace makes great sounding amps for sure.

I'd like to A/B it with a V-Plex now. If I can get the same tones with the gain down, its a win win. Guess you can never complain about having the ability to turn up the gain.

Have you had a chance to play through both? If so, what did you find was the difference between the two was, other then the amount of gain.

Unfortunately, I've never had the chance to play the V-Plex. Like you said, you can turn the gain down and get a very convincing old-school Marshall tone. The joy in this amp is turning up the gain. :yes:

I was surprised the amp lasted as long as it did. I guess being at Guitar Center there aren't many people going in to buy a hand-wired boutique amp. Good luck with it, the V-Rock is one of my favorite amps - I will never part with mine.

Thanks...... I'm really liking the amp. You know what its like with these kinds of amps. If you've never played an old Marshall type amp, and have only played high gain stuff, your probably gonna sound like crap. So much of the amp is in your hands. You have to work the amp, and most people just don't do that any more.

Since I've only got the gain at 9- O'clock, I'm looking at trying different pre amp tubes. I put a GT12AX7-M in the V1 spot, and like the change. I've got a few 5751s and some 12AY7s on the way. Wanted to try these in the V1 and V2 slot to see if it drops the gain some and adds more touch sensitivity.

Laars":216bhx1h said:
Thanks...... I'm really liking the amp. You know what its like with these kinds of amps. If you've never played an old Marshall type amp, and have only played high gain stuff, your probably gonna sound like crap. So much of the amp is in your hands. You have to work the amp, and most people just don't do that any more.

Since I've only got the gain at 9- O'clock, I'm looking at trying different pre amp tubes. I put a GT12AX7-M in the V1 spot, and like the change. I've got a few 5751s and some 12AY7s on the way. Wanted to try these in the V1 and V2 slot to see if it drops the gain some and adds more touch sensitivity.

That might help a bit, but if you're really trying to change it up, give Trace a call. He's always happy to help.

ibenhad":34dum4y4 said:
I would trade you my V-Plex for it. Now my V-reck never that goes to the grave with me.

I just might take you up on it. Does your V-Plex have a Master Volume?

voodooamps":2wmqayit said:
Did you guys trade? You have me curious (enquiring minds want to know--lol)

Have a great day!
Trace

Hi Trace,
actually no........ I'm really digging the amp even though its not what I was after. I've been using it with my band "The Royal Pains", http://www.theroyalpains.com along with my Mesa boogies.

I'm gonna hit you up at some point on making me a 100 watt V-Plex to go with my 50 watt V-plex(V-rock) so I can stop using the boogies live. I'm hoping to do this before we play Laconia bike week in June.

At some point, we are gonna do a few sound clips of your amp and post them on Youtube. Not that many good sounding clips up there that really show off the amp.

Gotta tell you, I love your amps Trace.

Bill

Laars":1ppoxj2d said:
Hi Trace, actually no........ I'm really digging the amp even though its not what I was after. I've been using it with my band "The Royal Pains", http://www.theroyalpains.com along with my Mesa boogies.

The band is very cool! :)

I'm gonna hit you up at some point on making me a 100 watt V-Plex to go with my 50 watt V-plex(V-rock) so I can stop using the boogies live. I'm hoping to do this before we play Laconia bike week in June.

We were talking the other day and I am looking forward to Custom Modding this amp for you so you can get the best of all worlds! :)

At some point, we are gonna do a few sound clips of your amp and post them on Youtube. Not that many good sounding clips up there that really show off the amp.

I agree 100%, we have been so busy (which is a wonderful problem to have and NOT a complaint--lol) that we have not been able to make clips. I would very much love to have a lot more great sounding clips.

Gotta tell you, I love your amps Trace. Bill

Thank you so much Bill and it was great to talk with you on the phone, we will get you exactly what you are looking for - then make some sound clips. Also give me a call and I can give you the instructions on how to Mod your 4x12 for improved tone and low end.

Looking forward to working on the amp;
Trace

Yea, you got the better amp, imo. Congrats on a sweet deal.

You should ask Trace for a V-Rock faceplate :D

Guys,
The story gets better. I found a 2006 Voodoo 50 watt V-Plex master volume on ebay in mint condition for little money, and I bought it. Now I've got both. I'm using the V-Rock for my leads, and the V-Plex for my rhythm. Add in my 1993 Marshall 100w 1959 SLP and I'm all set... Couldn't be happier. At least for now anyway. Being OCD and all.........
Here are the new additions.
amprig.jpg

Laars":1iwsphuf said:
Guys,
The story gets better. I found a 2007 Voodoo 50 watt V-Plex master volume on ebay in mint condition for little money, and I bought it. Now I've got both. I'm using the V-Rock for my leads, and the V-Plex for my rhythm. Add in my 1993 Marshall 100w 1959 SLP and I'm all set... Couldn't be happier. At least for now anyway. Being OCD and all.........
Awesome! Sound like tonal nirvana :D

Back