Need help with E580 preamp

Hi Rig-talkers :)

I really need your help. I have bought used Engl E580 Midi Preamp (from ebay). It sounds great but I have some technical issues with it. For example, only half of the effect loop works - when I engage the loop the Return Right doesn't work (I can hear just a faint signal from my right cab) Left side of the loop works normal. It can be a bad tube and I'm going to send it to local tech for retube.
Next thing is that at least one of the caps is burnt /one of the small blue Capxon 4.7uf 63V/ so it has to be replaced. I hope that my tech will be able to fix that.

But my main question is this. When I set my Heavy Lead channel with Modern mode to some really saturated higain sound and I change it to Classic mode, I get a significant loss of gain and saturation. Is this normal? (With modern settings it's a metal rythm machine and on classic it's more or less rock crunch).

Users of e570 preamps can probably help me too because they also have the Modern/Classic mode.

Thanks for help....

Peter

PS: Sorry for my english....
PPS: Does anyone have a scheme for e580? It would save a lot of time for my tech.

You will lose a lot of gain switching from modern to classic. it was like that on my 570 pre and my SE670 head. some people like it but I never really cared for classic mode for what I was after. But there were basically 5 channels on the 670 so I never was at a loss if I just wanted a nice crunch sound. :)

You are not going to find too much help I don't think from anyone around here in regards to specifics to the 580, simply because they did not make very many and they did not send many to the states.

Out of curiosity, is it the on that was on there forever for like 1795? Only had three pictures of it in the ad?

richardt4520":bxvavorh said:
You will lose a lot of gain switching from modern to classic. it was like that on my 570 pre and my SE670 head. some people like it but I never really cared for classic mode for what I was after. But there were basically 5 channels on the 670 so I never was at a loss if I just wanted a nice crunch sound. :)

Thank you :thumbsup:

Qweklain":bxvavorh said:
You are not going to find too much help I don't think from anyone around here in regards to specifics to the 580, simply because they did not make very many and they did not send many to the states.

Out of curiosity, is it the on that was on there forever for like 1795? Only had three pictures of it in the ad?

Probably not. I'm from Czech Republic and I have bought it from some small musicshop on european e-bay. Aside from previously mentioned technical issues it sounds great and I want to keep it.

strungout82":256f9hp5 said:
Qweklain":256f9hp5 said:

Probably not. I'm from Czech Republic and I have bought it from some small musicshop on european e-bay. Aside from previously mentioned technical issues it sounds great and I want to keep it.
Ah okay, probably not the same one then.

Heres the E580 schematic.

Keep in mind that this is only usable for service purposes,
crucial parts (affecting the sound) are removed or have wrong values!

Attachments

• E580-schematics.pdf
    441.9 KB · Views: 658
Piero the Guitarero":18tc5ei9 said:
Heres the E580 schematic.

Keep in mind that this is only usable for service purposes,
crucial parts (affecting the sound) are removed or have wrong values!

Nice, this would save my tech a lot of time. I owe you :rock:

All is good now :) E580 sounds amazing and everything works fine now.
Some of the caps were replaced because some genius connected one of the recording output with phantom powered cable. And one of the optocouplers was not seated properly so this caused problem with the effect loop.

Thank you all for the help.

Peter

Back