New Amp: Modded Marshall

easstudios

1987x modded to something like a Friedman JEL gain channel (following Headfirsts mods). I had a few extras/customisations that really make this amp it’s own thing.

The extra switches are:

- Coupling cap between 0.022uF and 0.0022uF (one is fatter, one is tighter)
- "Gain Boost" takes out an attenuation before the 2nd gain stage that gives more gain and thickness
- 3 way bright cap (500pf, 270pF, none)
- 3 way Jose Diode Clipping (Symettrical, Asymettrical and none)
- Tone Shift (2 different Tone Stack capacitor values)
- depth pot

and on the back there is a switch between standard 4 Ohm Negative Feedback, and No Negative Feedback.

Really handy having the different bright caps as it can get quite squelchy with the stock value. Also lower gain sounds or tones with single coils benefit from a tamer (or no) bright cap. The negative feedback switch is really cool too, it’s really raw and open like a rectifier. Obviously that’ll make the presence and depth useless and the cab becomes very important for the amp response. Hell of a lot of gain considering there’s no extra valves added

that sounds real good. i like the bristling upper mids. i find that is what is missing in so many high gain amps. it's just gotta be there

1987x modded to something like a Friedman JEL gain channel (following Headfirsts mods). I had a few extras/customisations that really make this amp it’s own thing.

The extra switches are:

- Coupling cap between 0.022uF and 0.0022uF (one is fatter, one is tighter)
- "Gain Boost" takes out an attenuation before the 2nd gain stage that gives more gain and thickness
- 3 way bright cap (500pf, 270pF, none)
- 3 way Jose Diode Clipping (Symettrical, Asymettrical and none)
- Tone Shift (2 different Tone Stack capacitor values)
- depth pot

and on the back there is a switch between standard 4 Ohm Negative Feedback, and No Negative Feedback.

Really handy having the different bright caps as it can get quite squelchy with the stock value. Also lower gain sounds or tones with single coils benefit from a tamer (or no) bright cap. The negative feedback switch is really cool too, it’s really raw and open like a rectifier. Obviously that’ll make the presence and depth useless and the cab becomes very important for the amp response. Hell of a lot of gain considering there’s no extra valves added

I was not a big fan of the sound during first 50 seconds..heard some higher hiss...but everything after that was killer....has a nice body to it.

I was not a big fan of the sound during first 50 seconds..heard some higher hiss...but everything after that was killer....has a nice body to it.
First couple of tones have the diode clipping in, definitely gets more squishy. If I have the bright cap set stock then it gets way too much, I was actually surprised how it doesn’t need a bright cap so much when using the diodes because the voicing changes. My favourite tones are probably with the symmetrical diode clipping but I get why you’d prefer the more raw and organic tones from it.

Thanks guys, really stoked with it

Here’s where I am with online clips: how would I feel if I was called (unexpectedly) onstage and asked to sit in and plugged into ‘this’ sound. This one makes me say ‘hold my beer…’

Back