NOS Preamp tubes in Atomica?

plexipwrd

Anyone tried any nos / vintage preamp tubes in their Atomica?

I tried some vintage I63 Mullards in V1 and V2 with so so results. They were a big improvement over the JJ's in my Bray Plexi.

I was surprised to find I actually like the chinese pre's that came stock in the Atomica better. Seemed to lose a little gain and edge with the Mullards.

A friend of mine also tried some Mullard CV40004's in his Atomica....really changed the mid range (for the worse). Gave the amp a half cocked wah sound.

I guess I should just learn to leave well enough alone because the amp just rips!

plexipwrd":3oir0aie said:

I tried some vintage I63 Mullards in V1 and V2 with so so results. They were a big improvement over the JJ's in my Bray Plexi.

I was surprised to find I actually like the chinese pre's that came stock in the Atomica better. Seemed to lose a little gain and edge with the Mullards.

A friend of mine also tried some Mullard CV40004's in his Atomica....really changed the mid range (for the worse). Gave the amp a half cocked wah sound.

I guess I should just learn to leave well enough alone because the amp just rips!
A little off point but do you still have the bray mod and how would you compare it to the atomica? I have a mod 1 but never tried the panther mod and am curious about it and also the atomica, thanks.

joepete77":1eh1qr7i said:
plexipwrd":1eh1qr7i said:

A little off point but do you still have the bray mod and how would you compare it to the atomica? I have a mod 1 but never tried the panther mod and am curious about it and also the atomica, thanks.

The Bray Panther mod is a really high gain mod. It is all tube gain with no diode clipping implemented that I am aware of. The Bray seems spongier / looser than the Atomica on the bottom end which is probably due to softer filtering. The attack of the Atomica is also much sharper. The Bray is also voiced a little differently in the mids. Hard to really put my finger on it but it seems that the Atomica is more focused in the upper mids but it is similar to the Bray.

The great thing about the Bray is it's ability to clean up with a bell like quality (chimey). The Atomica cleans up also but no where near as well as the Bray. This is probably due to my use of the 2nd gain style setting which employs diode clipping. With the Atomica set to the 1st gain style setting (no diode clipping position) it does clean up almost as well as the Bray.

IMO overall the Atomica is a much more agressive amp that seems to cut through the mix much better than the Bray. All that being said I still love the Bray and will probably never part with it!

I have no desire to mess with the preamp or poweramp tubes!!! The Atomica sounds perfect as is. This amp destroys!!! :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock:

Back