OD / Boost needed

CharFace

Yep, I needs me an OD or something to boost my Valveking 1x12 combo.

I have never used an OD before, so I need some recommendations. I have heard good things about the Maxon OD808, and the Bad Monkey.

I need a pedal that can supply a good amount of gain, as I occassionally want to take that valveking into metal territory (think Belladonna era Anthrax, or 1980's Slayer as opposed to Nu Metal) :bang:

So... What do you guys think?

Depends on what type of sound you're going for. I got both the OD-808 and the Dano EQ which I use to boost my amps. The OD-808 is very smooth, but cannot get as aggressive as my Dano with the mids in a reverse V shape and the level maxed. The OD-808 is quieter though. Both are extremely transparent bypassed too. I didn't care for the Bad Monkey personally, but I seem to be the only one in the world who thinks that way.

Code001":c578a said:
Depends on what type of sound you're going for. I got both the OD-808 and the Dano EQ which I use to boost my amps. The OD-808 is very smooth, but cannot get as aggressive as my Dano with the mids in a reverse V shape and the level maxed. The OD-808 is quieter though. Both are extremely transparent bypassed too. I didn't care for the Bad Monkey personally, but I seem to be the only one in the world who thinks that way.

Dano EQ? Fish & Chips? I guess I was unaware that this EQ could boost as well.

So, will the EQ work as a boost alone, or do I need to add an OD as well?

For the price, I do like the idea of that EQ 8)

By bumping the mids and the level on the EQ, it acts a lot like a clean boost. It's how Slayer got that tone with JCM800s. They just boosted their amps with EQs.

Code001":1a013 said:
By bumping the mids and the level on the EQ, it acts a lot like a clean boost. It's how Slayer got that tone with JCM800s. They just boosted their amps with EQs.

Thanks for the info!

That pedal is so darn inexpensive, its stupid not to give it a try 8)

CharFace":22a93 said:
Dano EQ? Fish & Chips? I guess I was unaware that this EQ could boost as well.

So, will the EQ work as a boost alone, or do I need to add an OD as well?

For the price, I do like the idea of that EQ 8)

Depends on the EQ in question but typically with a graphic you are going to be able to boot/cut specific frequencies and boost/cut the overal signal. Fwiw, there are some amps I have used in the past were I pref'd using an EQ to control the tone while using a boost/OD for the additional heat/gain rather than getting the heat from the EQ.

k4df4l":e94d4 said:
Depends on the EQ in question but typically with a graphic you are going to be able to boot/cut specific frequencies and boost/cut the overal signal. Fwiw, there are some amps I have used in the past were I pref'd using an EQ to control the tone while using a boost/OD for the additional heat/gain rather than getting the heat from the EQ.

So...

Lets say I decide to pick up a Bad Monkey, and a Fish & Chips... I've only spent about $60.00 or so, and I have 2 seemingly good toys to experiment with.

I think I have a weekend project! :LOL:

CharFace":c270b said:
So...

Lets say I decide to pick up a Bad Monkey, and a Fish & Chips... I've only spent about $60.00 or so, and I have 2 seemingly good toys to experiment with.

I think I have a weekend project! :LOL:
That's a good plan.

I've used all manner of boxes to boost my amps and my favorites are Treble boosters and EQs.

Where are you in South Florida?

hal9000":9d484 said:
That's a good plan.

I've used all manner of boxes to boost my amps and my favorites are Treble boosters and EQs.

Where are you in South Florida?

Other coast... Between Ft Myers and Naples...

The EQ is a good way of doing it. I would also like to recomend some Catalinbread pedals, the Supercharged OD and SuperChilePicasso. Soundclips on his site.

Back