Old/new switch mod?

MrFlexx

I have a 2014 Quick Rod and would like to know if it's possible to add the old/new switch to it? If so, how?

I know it can be done. I can ask my tech how the technology works. But when I was in there looking around it looks like it's just switching between different resistors to ground

I talked to him today. He didn't even notice my old new switch when he had my amp so hes not sure. I just looked in mine since I had it open anyway and I can see where it's going but I lose it on the chipboard because all the tracing is on the back side and I don't want to take it all apart. I hope somebody else has more info on exactly what's involved because of all the features that one makes the biggest usable difference. I go back and forth all the time and can't decide which one is better. I've dialed in a lot of settings with the mid shift switch also but I end up always going back to switch off

I talked to him today. He didn't even notice my old new switch when he had my amp so hes not sure. I just looked in mine since I had it open anyway and I can see where it's going but I lose it on the chipboard because all the tracing is on the back side and I don't want to take it all apart. I hope somebody else has more info on exactly what's involved because of all the features that one makes the biggest usable difference. I go back and forth all the time and can't decide which one is better. I've dialed in a lot of settings with the mid shift switch also but I end up always going back to switch off
What's the difference in sound and feel between old and new in your opinion?

Hmm This might be tough. Old has a more saturated gain for sure and the sound is beefier and less present. It sounds like the mids might be getting more gain like a chewier mid range.
New has less bass and has a much brighter open airy sound. I would say new is more in line with a marshall. Such as it has that bright bite to it. Not saying that you can't get that on the old setting but you have to dial it in differently. I go back and forth between new and old quite a bit and still have not made up my mind which one I like better. New cuts through the mix like a knife.

Sounds like I'm more for the new from your description. Thanks for enlightening me. I no longer have gas for the switch any longer. I love the open, brighter sound and more cutting sound. Thanks 😊

I have this on my 50 watt Supersport, I tend to only use "Old" when I am using single coils, it is a bassier, more congested tone than new, at low volumes for noodling it's pretty cool , but I discovered at a gig , it does add a lot of bass as you turn it up, so you would need to re EQ from your "new" settings or it's going to be boomy. I f I am using a brighter thinner sounding guitar I go "Old"

Yeah switching from new to old definitely requires different EQ. I thought I was sold on just playing on new but I was messing around today and I am really digging the old setting. It's a much fuller sound. I think you would really dig gear one on the old setting.
These new quick rods are really unbelievable. There's so many different options to sculpt the sound to exactly what you hear in your head.
Have you considered trying to buy a newer one with all the bells and whistles and then selling your older one. It would probably be easier than modding yours.

Yeah switching from new to old definitely requires different EQ. I thought I was sold on just playing on new but I was messing around today and I am really digging the old setting. It's a much fuller sound. I think you would really dig gear one on the old setting.
These new quick rods are really unbelievable. There's so many different options to sculpt the sound to exactly what you hear in your head.
Have you considered trying to buy a newer one with all the bells and whistles and then selling your older one. It would probably be easier than modding yours.
Getting a new Splawn with all the bells and whistles ain't an option for me, as they are approximately $3300 here. The secondhand value for a Splawn where I live ain't more than $1100-1300.

Interesting to hear you guys talk about the old/new switch. I've only played my Quick Rod, which is a 2008 that I bought used in a deal I couldn't pass up. But I consider mine open, dark, not saturated, bassy, etc. Granted, I somewhat have it dialed in that way too. For what I like to play, the brighter, saturated, dare I say fizzy tone does not work for me.

Interesting to hear you guys talk about the old/new switch. I've only played my Quick Rod, which is a 2008 that I bought used in a deal I couldn't pass up. But I consider mine open, dark, not saturated, bassy, etc. Granted, I somewhat have it dialed in that way too. For what I like to play, the brighter, saturated, dare I say fizzy tone does not work for me.
Fizzy is a harsh word "pun intended" My QR 2014 ain't fizzy in any way even at hard trebly settings. It's actually one of the few amps that handles any settings without sounding bad. This regarding to me.

Fizzy is a harsh word "pun intended" My QR 2014 ain't fizzy in any way even at hard trebly settings. It's actually one of the few amps that handles any settings without sounding bad. This regarding to me.
Yeah. I wouldn't call Splawns fizzy at all. And you certainly didn't say that. I do find some of those classic Marshalls to be pretty fizzy. Great for 70's rock though. Nothing wrong with that for certain applications. I need a more modern tone. My amp used to look like yours.

RfTf9ECl.jpg

q8BqZdLl.jpg

Back