Pickup recommendations for a Dunable R2

teestone

Recently acquired a Dunable R2 in a trade....

It's going to be dedicated to heavy metal, doom/stoner type stuff in my stable of guitars. It's tuned to D with the occasional drop C. Right now it is strung with 10-52 gauge strings but I will probably change to 11-52.

The guitar is 25.5" scale length...Mahogany body and neck...Maple top, Ebony board.

What pickups should I have on my radar?

For doom/stoner stuff I personally prefer the tones of (wax potted) lower output PAF types. Wagner Godwood, 57 Classic, etc.

If you are more comfortable with higher output stuff, I would recommend duncan sh-14 (the custom 5 alnico) for warmer stuff and the sh-6 for grindier, and Dirty Fingers/Tonenerd Psykes for beefy low end.

Generally speaking, the more modern aftermarket pickups don't sound well for that type of music.

Think Corrosion of Conformity circa "Blind" and evolving into "Deliverance".

Blind has some great 90's era chunky, modulated goodness while Deliverance shifts more towards the stoner vibe, while still brutally heavy.

Elder has some righteous tones I'd like to mimic. REZN also has some pretty thick detuned sounds for a point of reference.

What pickups did it come with? Different folks have different takes on dunable’s pickups but I wonder what ones you have and what you don’t like about them?

It currently has the Slugwolf pickups. They aren't "bad"...actually sound pretty good. Maybe a little vanilla for what I intend to do with this guitar.

I played it again last night and that was my main takeaway. Reminds of hot PAF's. Good output, good neutral sound, not harsh but tuned to D and drop C, the low end starts to fall apart a little when pushing higher gain.

Back