Props to Don at Suhr

yngzaklynch

As some of you know I bought a wickedly sweet Suhr Modern Carve Top Custom from N' Stuff Music in Pittsburgh a few weeks ago. My guitar has the 510 Gotoh trem. It would go out of tune a bit, especially the G string. Don suuggested I restring it. Also I mentioned I had some Big Bends Nut Sauce. Don suggested I use that on the nut slots and contact pionts on the saddles of the trem. Once restrung Don told me not to stretch the strings out but to push a bit behind and infront the nut and infront of the saddles. Huge difference in tuning stability. Big improvement! Anyways for those that have issues with their Gotoh 510 try these steps or simply contact Don at Suhr. Don was super helpful. Don if you read this thanks again!!

Jim

I've dealt with Don on a couple of occasions myself. Each time he was helpful and saw to it that the issues I experienced were completely resolved. Super friendly as well! :thumbsup:

Don is awesome! I had the pleasure of meeting him and he is one of the coolest guys in the business!

All agreed. Don and I have had quite a bit of dealings. He is extremely knowledgeable, professional, and honest. If I am not mistaken he moved to CA to work for Suhr after selling Haggerty's Music which is/was a Suhr dealer. I am not positive on that. Don is super cool. Noel, who used to own Tone Merchants I think, and Shon were great as well. Even John can be ok at times. :LOL: :LOL:

Been going back and forth a bit with Don over email. Super nice guy and very helpful.

Agreed!
Don is the man.

I ordered a Modern and had an issue. Don helped me to full resolution and I am extremely happy with what is now my third SUHR axe!
:rock:

El Mariachi":nm47q4gw said:
Agreed!
Don is the man.

I ordered a Modern and had an issue. Don helped me to full resolution and I am extremely happy with what is now my third SUHR axe!
:rock:
Pics?

yngzaklynch":2gdfyetg said:
As some of you know I bought a wickedly sweet Suhr Modern Carve Top Custom from N' Stuff Music in Pittsburgh a few weeks ago. My guitar has the 510 Gotoh trem. It would go out of tune a bit, especially the G string. Don suuggested I restring it. Also I mentioned I had some Big Bends Nut Sauce. Don suggested I use that on the nut slots and contact pionts on the saddles of the trem. Once restrung Don told me not to stretch the strings out but to push a bit behind and infront the nut and infront of the saddles. Huge difference in tuning stability. Big improvement! Anyways for those that have issues with their Gotoh 510 try these steps or simply contact Don at Suhr. Don was super helpful. Don if you read this thanks again!!

Jim

Can you explain not stretching the strings? Literally just applying pressure at those three points makes a difference?

Very glad to hear things are working out with your Suhr! Setting the take off points of the string isn't so much about stretching, although it will take some slack out of them, but primarily about making sure that the string takes off in a straight line and has a set place to return to when bending and using the bar.

The wound strings especially tend to take off from the top of the saddle and the nut in kind of a ramp shape, rather than in a dead straight line. After tuning up to pitch you can set the take off points by lightly pressing the string against the tuning machine, behind and in front of the nut, and in front of the saddle. Press lightly, as you don't want to kink the strings. This will take some of the slack out of the strings, and set the strings to take off in a straight line which will improve tuning stability and intonation.

After you do that, the only stretching your strings should need is some regular whole step bends across the neck, and you should be good to go.

We do not recommend yanking on your strings to stretch them as it's a great way to damage them and ruin tuning stability. I hope that helps!

are you talking about pressing the string down or actually pulling it toward the tuner? sorry bit confused

mniel8195":1xwnv82f said:
are you talking about pressing the string down or actually pulling it toward the tuner? sorry bit confused
Pressing it dowmward just a little. You're not stretching the string but simply taking the slack out.

Back