PT-20 Pink Taco sounds boxy?

clown_mouth72

I have a Pink Taco PT-20 head that doesn't sound like its working right. The only way I can get the amp to get any highs and open up, is when I dime the master and use the gain as an output, and the tone is kinda dirty plexi sounding. Any other way of using the controls only leads to a boxy muffled tone with no hair, sizzle, or highs, just bloated mids and lows. All tubes have been tested on a tube tester, and also just replaced them all twice, yet the amps response is the same.

I don't think the amp is sounding right at all, every video on youtube that I see on the PT-20 sounds amazing, great frequency response, and gainy with hair and sizzle. It's like the first gain stage is so hot that its just compressing the signal and choking out the highs, or dumping them to ground? Any ideas on whats going on with my PT-20?

clown_mouth72":2izlaz72 said:
I have a Pink Taco PT-20 head that doesn't sound like its working right. The only way I can get the amp to get any highs and open up, is when I dime the master and use the gain as an output, and the tone is kinda dirty plexi sounding. Any other way of using the controls only leads to a boxy muffled tone with no hair, sizzle, or highs, just bloated mids and lows. All tubes have been tested on a tube tester, and also just replaced them all twice, yet the amps response is the same.

I don't think the amp is sounding right at all, every video on youtube that I see on the PT-20 sounds amazing, great frequency response, and gainy with hair and sizzle. It's like the first gain stage is so hot that its just compressing the signal and choking out the highs, or dumping them to ground? Any ideas on whats going on with my PT-20?
Send Dave an email. He’ll take care of you.

Back