Question about setting up a Floyd Rose

homespun

Do I want the top of the Floyd to be parallel with the body like this:
IMG_0410.JPG

Or do I want the bottom of the Floyd to be parallel with the body, like this:
IMG_0411.JPG

It is currently like the first picture.

Thank you. I set it up with the knife edge block parallel to the body.

I did a no-no by adjusting the bridge height without slacking the strings. I forgot about that until I’d already started turning. Oops.

Regardless, it’s all set up. Action, bridge angle, intonation, pickup height. Plays great. Pickups still suck though.

There's always one string...the G-string.

Put the guitar in the gig bag a few weeks ago, take it out today, g-string slipped out from the bridge. Happened to two different guitars in the last week.

The one I'm using today, the g-string slipped out of the bridge block in the gigbag; fixed it, tuned it up; played it; put it in a stand, about 15 minutes later, the g-string pops out again. srsly. Working again now, tuned it, played it for about 20 minutes including dive bombs and pull ups, still in so far.

I like FR, but they still manage to piss me off nearly every time I play one. :bash:

just me?

There's always one string...the G-string.

Put the guitar in the gig bag a few weeks ago, take it out today, g-string slipped out from the bridge. Happened to two different guitars in the last week.

The one I'm using today, the g-string slipped out of the bridge block in the gigbag; fixed it, tuned it up; played it; put it in a stand, about 15 minutes later, the g-string pops out again. srsly. Working again now, tuned it, played it for about 20 minutes including dive bombs and pull ups, still in so far.

I like FR, but they still manage to piss me off nearly every time I play one. :bash:

just me?
You can throw some titanium string blocks in if it's an original or 1000-series to stop those strings from popping-out - if it is a Special, the metal in those damn things is just a headache waiting to happen and you'll have to replace the saddles, too.

https://www.floydrose.com/products/frotisli

Reactions: rsm
I love the OG Edge trems. The second picture is the correct way, saddles and bottom of the plate parallel to the body. The first picture is the "wrong" setup, bridge is tilted back 20-30 degrees which is bad. The Edge baseplate viewed from the side is "triangular" because the saddles sit partially in it. In contrast to a Floyd Rose where the saddles just sit on top of the flat base plate - OFR of course the flat plate is parallel to the body too.

I've never had an issue with the strings popping out of the bridge blocks, but then again I've never used a floyd special.
Also i'm not afraid to tighten them f'rs down real tight. On a special they would probably crack under my heavy hands!

I've never had an issue with the strings popping out of the bridge blocks, but then again I've never used a floyd special.
Also i'm not afraid to tighten them f'rs down real tight. On a special they would probably crack under my heavy hands!
No other strings have popped out. Two guitars, both g-strings popped out in the gigbags; and one popped out on the guitar stand again after fixing it and playing it. :dunno:

Probably going to get steel string lock inserts if it keeps happening.

No other strings have popped out. Two guitars, both g-strings popped out in the gigbags; and one popped out on the guitar stand again after fixing it and playing it. :dunno:

Probably going to get steel string lock inserts if it keeps happening.
Check the inside of the saddles too, if they have any grooves or wear new inserts probably won't help much. I encountered the same problem on a Jackson branded FR years ago, the saddles were garbage.

Thank you. I set it up with the knife edge block parallel to the body.

I did a no-no by adjusting the bridge height without slacking the strings. I forgot about that until I’d already started turning. Oops.

Regardless, it’s all set up. Action, bridge angle, intonation, pickup height. Plays great. Pickups still suck though.

In nearly 30 years I’ve never once slacked the strings when raising the bridge height on an Edge. That said, those posts are locking with a tiny ass allen wrench down the center of the posts. If you didn’t have to loosen them to raise the bridge, they weren’t locked because that fucker won’t move if they are.

I have 2 guitars with Floyd Special and have no issues with the strings popping out. Just need to tighten them tight.

There is a reason the Floyd rose has a knife edge. Would you take your best steak knife and stand on it while you try to cut a steel pipe? No the sharpness would be gone.

Here is a sbs guitar I just got. Complete pos btw…just as an example now.see that ring around the stud. Where the paints off it. The Floyd is gonna look the same.

I can tune it perfectly and then use the bar and magically the tuning is off just a hair. If I use the bar the other direction it goes right back in tune. Would you consider that working correctly ? The only Floyd rose that can withstand any adjustment is the original. Know why? Because of the Rockwell hardness. But I don’t even recommend it with the original.

Turn the guitar over on your lap
Just lock the nut don’t need the slack the strings
Pull the damn springs out of the back
Flip it back over and grab the Floyd with your hand and pull the whole thing away from the studs and adjust the studs with your free hand. Flip back over and put the springs back in. HFS that was easy now wasn’t it!

Attachments

• IMG_9580.jpeg
    IMG_9580.jpeg
    104.3 KB · Views: 27
Back