Questions about order or workflow.

Devourly

So I just got my torpedo captor last week. Its a pretty interesting piece of gear. I am finding some things confusing though with the torpedo remote and wall of sound plugin.

First, I'm playing an Ibanez Pia into a Carvin Legacy 100w head. The head is plugged into the input of the torpedo, and the torpedo is routed to an input on my interface. I have strong signal coming into my DAW. But here's where my questions start.

How do you usually go about shaping your tone? I'm basically recording the output of the torpedo in my DAW. In order to shape the sound, I'm using the torpedo remote app by USB. Trying to find a cab I like, trying to shape the tone with the mic positions and blending mics in conjunction with experimenting with my amp dials. So far, I have not found a great sound. They all sound rather... cheap.

But I take the sound I have so far and then open the wall of sound plugin on my Guitar channel in my DAW. This instantly changes the sound completely. There doesn't seem to be a way to start the plugin out with everything at zero. I mean, I put every control I could find to zero and turned off all the extra processing and it still sounds vastly different when I bypass the plugin. What is the point of shaping your tone with the torpedo remote, if the wall of sound plugin completely throws off what you've done so far? As I said, I didn't find a GREAT sound, but I found one I could work with. But as soon as I use the plugin, its all gone. Woofy bass and harsh high end. How do you use the plugin to "enhance" the sound? Rather than change it entirely?

Am I not working in the right direction? How exactly should I start? With the wall of sound plugin? Then go and change it in torpedo remote? It really seemed to me that you should get the source sounding good before adding plugins.

And the wall of sound plugin is a little confusing. There seems to be no reverb control unless you're in simulation mode, but going back to arcade mode after turning it off changes the sound as well. Resets params and then you don't have access to them in arcade mode from what the pop up told me.

I just don't really like having so little control over the sound. Its doing things to the sound and I don't know how to undo them. I do like what I've heard so far. The first time I've ever heard a convincing 'cabinet involvement'. I think it could be really good once I figure out the challenging learning curve. I'd really like to know how to ditch the cheap honky sounds. Most of the music I listen to, the guitar is distorted for sure, but it sounds "clean". Like hi-fi sounding. Clean high end, tight low end. Currently I'm running into limp, dark high end, and if I try to add highs, it just gets harsh. And the low end is overpowering in the low mids. The low mids are way louder than I'd like them to be, but trying to compensate leaves it sounding very lifeless.

I'm thinking some of this may have to do with how I'm getting my amp sounds in the first place. I feel like maybe I should get my amp sounding like, lightly crunchy, and then buy a drive pedal or a compressor/sustain pedal to run in front of the amp to get more saturation. I've always heard that you need way less gain than you think, but even with my dirty channel's volume turned up to 7 out of 10, I still need to turn the gain knob up to like 7 or 8 to get a playable sound. That can't be right, right? Maybe a tubescreamer or something would help out with that? I feel like the cab sims sound honky and cheap because I'm not getting my amp sound right at the amp itself.

Anyone have any advice or guidance? Sorry for the wall of text, I've never had a load box before and I really don't know what the protocol is for Two Notes' products and plugins and such.

Thank you!

Hi @Devourly,

Ross from Two notes here, thanks for getting in touch. I would love to help you out with this!

One of the first things I would say is don't stack Wall of Sound on top of your Torpedo DSP processed signal - you will essentially be stacking processing on top of processing which is not the best idea in terms of generating optimal sound quality.

As a starting point, we would suggest focussing on Torpedo Remote and keep the signal chain simple. For example, start with one mic and a little EQ to see if you can get close to the sound you like. Then, when you are close, add another mic as an ambient source by pulling this back from the cabinet. Then, if you are happy with this, experiment with the enhancer to thicken up your tone. The trick will all of this is small changes will make the biggest difference.

Once you are happy with your tone - and providing you are recording - we would suggest setting the Captor X into Dual Mono output mode - this means you can record a Dry and Wet signal simultaneously - the dry signal can then be used with Wall of Sound for sitting the guitar tone perfectly in your mix. For convenience I have included a link to configuring the Dual Mono routing below.

https://wiki.two-notes.com/doku.php...torpedo_captor_x_user_s_manual#output_routing
Please let me know if this helps as a starting point and I look forward to hearing from you soon.

Kind regards.

Ross

@RossJohnDavies Hi Ross, thanks for the response. I had no clue WoS wasn't meant to be used that way. Makes sense considering how bad it was sounding lol.

I'd like to find out how to get the torpedo set up so everything is off, and I can begin to bring things in one by one. Like hearing ONLY the sound of my amp itself, with a cab IR put on it. That's about as basic as I can get. I'd like to experiment with each bit of processing little by little to keep it simple. I'll definitely try your suggestion out as well after work tomorrow.

What I think I may be running into now is... I've always only ever used the amps dirty channel to get a good tone. I've never used any drive pedals or distortion pedals at all. The sound I'm hearing just seems too flat for me. And if I try to turn up the gain to get a more aggressive sound, it kinda falls apart because that's just too much gain. Should I get a pedal of some kind to try to "drive" either the clean or dirty channels to a more aggressive sound? Its amazing to me that a Carvin Legacy with the dirty master volume up to 7 or 8, and the gain at 5 or 6 sounds so weak. Driving the amp that hard, I expected lower gain levels to be adequate since the amp is driven so much by the power section. I've also NEVER been able to push the amp this high either. Its so insanely loud even before level 2. But as I said, if I take the gain higher, it sounds worse. Too compressed, too harsh. So much gain hurts the mix.

Maybe I should get a drive pedal to push my guitar signal into the amp more? Or is it a matter of experimenting with mic positions? I have about 10 hours into searching for a decent tone at this point. I'd really like to have a little guidance on this lol.

In other words, should I take any steps BEFORE the signal even reaches the Torpedo? Should I be sending a hotter signal into my amp itself in order to drive the amp? Or is it simply, guitar into amp, amp into torpedo, then changing mic positions until you find searing, punchy leads?

Sorry I ask so many questions, I've been playing my whole life, but have never had the ability to let an amp run unleashed. I have ALWAYS had to be quiet.

Thanks again for your help.

Hi @Devourly,

Thanks for getting back to me and no worries at all with the questions! We are always happy to help!

To turn off all the processing in Torpedo remote:
  1. With the Post FX, simply click the Post FX name with the blue light under it and you will disable this
  2. With the cabinets, simply mute your mic channels

The idea of keeping it simple to start with is a great one - as noted previously, try an SM57 on Axis and then move this around to see how the frequency content changes - on axis you should hear more pronounced mids, punch and high end - off axis the sound should be less punch and more pronounced in the low mids.

An Amp really is a different beast when driving the power amp - but remember you don't have to push this super high to get the sound you are looking for - as such I would suggest experimenting with a 4x12 cab with one mic and start to push your power amp to taste.

Something I like to do with new amps is simplify the setup even more - try a 1x12 cab and different speakers to see what is your best fit. What do you use currently - V30's, Greenbacks etc?

Looking forward to hearing from you soon.

Kind regards,

Ross

Hey @RossJohnDavies

I got to try some stuff out today. I went and started with an unprocessed signal although muting the mics gave me no sound at all. The bypass "B" button seems to be giving me the bare signal from the back of my amp. So I think its as unprocessed as I can get it.

I still don't really know what cab sim is a good fit for my amp yet, but I did buy a DS-1 today. I ran it into my clean channel and got some really interesting sounds on various cab sims from torpedo remote. I think I might be going in the right direction with a pedal or two. Its much more manageable with one mic to worry about. Like I said, I haven't found something I'm really happy with yet, but I definitely feel like I can get there at some point. I am running into a new problem though.

First as some background info, I'm playing an Ibanez Pia through a 100w Carvin Legacy head. I'm currently using cab sims, but I have the matching 4x12 Legacy cab as well. Its loaded with V30s. That's what I've been used to.

As far as using amp sims, the problem i'm seeing is even on the best tones I found today, there were the same problem frequencies. The low mids are unbelievably overbearing with my current settings. My bass control is at .8 which is laughable. My mids are at 4.5 and my treble is 8.5 while my presence is at 6. The tone is still quite dark. But if I raise that bass knob above 1, it just gets too unbearable. The low mids cover up all clarity.

I'm also noticing, if my low mids ARE controlled, then I end up with this huge 500ish Hz quality. Every sim I used ended up sounding boxy and even a little honky. Trying to fix this with EQ really just ruined the overall sound. I'm not really sure whats giving me that issue. I'm in a fully treated control room as well. Its not soundproofed, but it has a really quite flat frequency response and is a decently large room.

I'm definitely seeing that this could yield some really great tones, if I can get the hang of it. Again, Thanks for your help!

Hi Devourly, Thanks for getting back to me and I am so glad to hear we are getting there - are you able to send me some audio so I can have a listen to the resultant audio please? If you dont want to post here, you can contact us on the Help Desk > support.two-notes.com

Have you tried backing off the Master volume a touch - this does sound a little like power amp saturation that may be contributing to the tonality you are describing.

I look forward to hearing from you soon.

Kind regards,

Ross

Ross sorry for the late reply, I've been having some busy times at work. I will get a recording posted for you tomorrow though. Thanks!

Back