RANDALL WARHEAD TONES….because fuck midrange

It works basically the same frequency wise - but the gain behaves drastically differently.

Maxing the volume doesn't give you more of the amp, it gives you nasty ass TV static in the background as the SS preamp hits its gain limit.

So generally speaking, you can shape the EQ with a boost, like to get rid of flubby low end, but you can't boost like you would a recto or 5150 generally

Edit: this is why dirtnap darrell boosted with the MXR eqs and not like a tube screamer or whatever
I would double boost a randall, but levels low on both and a parametric before and graphic in the loop. Lot of shit going into turning it into a beast. But it was tight as fuck

This thread rules. Hell fuckin yeah.

There really is just something about super scooped Randall tones with their trademark sizzly laser beam upper presence frequencies. I’ve got an RG1503 head and it’s pretty much perfect for throwing down those kinds of tones. It 100% needs a low cut at the input though. Like you guys, I don’t boost the front end, but the amp is almost useless without something carving out the wooly bass frequencies at the input. With a good low cut in front though, there’s really nothing like it.

Here’s my favorite non-Pantera Randall tone. The whole album is great:

He did, I think valvestates then MG’s?

I definitely remember him with the MG’s as a kid. Which, as a young new guitar player in 99 or so, I never could understand why some guitarists were using these Uber expensive rectifiers ( I was 12) that just obviously had to be the best thing ever ( which they are), and then seeing a band like static x using a shitty Marshall solid state amp.

Didn’t stop me from running my DOD death distortion pedal into the clean channel of an MG100 half stack at Sam ash though. Man those were the days. The fender roc man 1000 too, loved that thing for some reason as a kid too.

I definitely remember him with the MG’s as a kid. Which, as a young new guitar player in 99 or so, I never could understand why some guitarists were using these Uber expensive rectifiers ( I was 12) that just obviously had to be the best thing ever ( which they are), and then seeing a band like static x using a shitty Marshall solid state amp.

Didn’t stop me from running my DOD death distortion pedal into the clean channel of an MG100 half stack at Sam ash though. Man those were the days. The fender roc man 1000 too, loved that thing for some reason as a kid too.

back then tube vs SS was just not a thing to me. the couple spots back in the late 90s/00s were these shit hole bars and a vfw with a room off the side where nothing was mic'd, it was really great proving ground for amps. i had no clue if the vh140c had tubes or not, i just knew that every band that rolled through with one sounded brutal, much like valvestate marshalls. it really wasnt till i got to harmony central i learned SS wasnt as cool lol. you should find a profile f the rock pro 1000, i bet it rips

back in the day when I was a kid, my amp, a pre-CBS Fender Bandmaster, died (probably just needed tubes but I was a kid so didn't know much about amps technology and repair; and it was pre-internet), I got a new Sunn Beta Lead head, solid state, digital amp; I remember it was marketed with CMOS technology. Sounded great, but was completely lost vs a 50W Marshall halfstack the other guitarist had, then again so was my Bandmaster.

This one:

Sunn Amplification — beta lead

This thread makes me wanna dig out my Randall X2 full stack and see how long it takes for the cops to show up. 😆

Back