Rebel 30 Head Arc problem and repair

musicmanmu

So about 2 months ago, I took my Rebel 30 out of the headshell to clean the pots, because the clean channel volume would sometimes act wonky when I first turn the amp on. It would run full blast no matter where I had the volume control set. It was always fix itself after a while, so I figured cleaning the pots might help. Well after I cleaned them (with standard contact cleaner, and let the stuff dry for a day just to be safe), I fired up the amp and got no sound - well, a faint crackle of a sound with the volume all the way up. After a minute, smoke puffed out from the top grill. Uh-oh. Turned it off and took it to my amp tech/amp builder guru (who apparently knows Bruce, small world).

It took him 2 months to figure out that carbon buildup between a copper trace and a wire that feeds the speaker load (I think that's how he described it) caused an arc. Here's a picture:

Luckily he said it only burned the board and not any components. He cleaned it off with an exacto knife and said it's running fine now. He thinks the closeness of the trace and wire caused the eventual arc. I just wonder if it'll eventually happen again? I hope not. I do love this amp, but it may be nearing end of life for me. I am curious about the Rebel 30 MKII, but the lack of reviews and/or clips online keeps me from even considering buying it outright.

Back