Rebel 30 head wattage controls do nothing

crustycabs

I own both a Renegade and a Rebel 30 (which I just acquired), and the wattage controls on the Rebel do nothing when you turn them. The ones on the Renegade work almost TOO well, as it can be hard to get a good balance between the drive channel and the boost.

Any ideas of things to look for?

You must cut it up with some volume then try it, the louder it is the better you can hear the difference !
Not a true 1-30 watt control but cuts the dynamics down abit so it can be volume friendly in the house some what !

My 50 watt attenuator I bought sucks as the true tone is destroyed too mush and lacks depth !

thickwood, does your attenuator have a treble bleed? I know people complain about simple attenuators, but I built one I've really been happy with, though I use it more to lower output conveniently rather than to cook the power tubes. A bonus is that it in effect reduces the post-gain background noise from the amp - a valve amp can easily sound noticeably hissy/hummy when run at such low output.

Crustycabs: yeah, the power control on the Rebel is more like a power tube headroom control. Not really my ideal. It does bring additional compression and earlier distortion, I'm sure more so as you crank the amp, but when I bought it I hoped it would make a powersoak unnecessary, but no dice, especially as the Rebel is not the easiest amp to dial down quiet. I have a 60w Peavey valve combo which sounds nowhere near so sweet, but something in its gain structure makes it simple to dial down to bedroom levels without feeling like you're teetering at the very end of the potentiometer tracks.

Incidentally, as a quick and dirty way to quieten a loud amp I have in the past just put a passive potentiometer in the FX loop, though of course that runs the power tubes at low signal level and again tends to require a treble bleed capacitor.

My Weber Mass lite has highs and lows control but the tone suffers horribly !
A bitmo mods 30 watt attenuator sounds better by far but I do not use it as the volume gets so loud still anyway my room mates can not survive reality of the power tubes breaking up for long !

Back