Rebel 30 M1 - Hiss, Hum / Overdrive Channel umphh

EpicWinningDan

Hi all,

I'm a proud owner of the Egnater Rebel 30 M1 running into the Egnater Tourmaster 4x12B. I've Had the amp head for 2 years, 8 and a half months now. Bought 2nd hand(or B-stock) from GuitarGuitar. At time of purchase everything was wonderful. No noise, hiss, hums etc.

Problem 1
After a year and a half of owning the amp, the overdrive channel started to have some problems. Whilst playing I would occasionally lose the 'umph' of volume. So the volume would drop by itself whilst playing. I thought that maybe it was time to change some tubes, so I took it into a store to do exactly that.

Once it came out of repair. I took it home, it didn't turn on. Took it back and the shop had to replace the '250ma Fast-Blo Fuse' if I remember correctly. Possibly damaged in transit, unsure on the reason for it. Anyway, once I finally got it home again, that volume dipping problem was fixed. However it didn't have the gain like it used to have when I bought it. I took the amp apart and noticed all the power tubes were still stock. The pre-amp tubes also seemed to be stock. Also it appears the chassis has never been removed, until a few days ago, which makes me believe if he did change anything it won't have been Biased.

After having a previous problem with fixing a Line6DL4 with that shop (long story), and now the decreased gain on my amp. I decided not to go back there for further assistance/costs. Since then I've used a Suhr Riot/TC Nova System on the clean channel for my overdrive. Now I'm looking to get Channel 2 back to it's full potential.

Problem 2
As of recent, I've begun to hear your typical hum/hiss/static noises on both channels. I've read a few similar threads on the same issue. This problem I'm describing as background noise, as it is not affected by any of the knobs. This problem is louder when tube mix is set towards EL84.

Volume / Bass / Treble / Gain / Mid set to 0 on both channels. No Guitar plugged in. Reverb off.
Channel 1 - low hum & hiss
Channel 2 - Low hum & hiss (hiss volume reduced in comparison to C1 )

Problem 3
When turning the volume up^ there is a new noise introduced alongside the background noise on both channels.
Channel 1 - static & hiss
Channel 2 - static & hiss

GOALS
1. Get the Overdrive Channel running like it used to. Is it a power tube problem?
2. Get rid of hiss/hum/static!

I read a thread by -MJD- saying he put in a 'GE 12AT7' in V3 in the tube layout to reduce noise by -15db. Something I am considering doing after reading.

What other decisions should I undergo to 'fix' my problems? Thanks!

the first thing you have to do is isolate the problem.pull out all preamp tubes leave the drivers in.see if the noise is still thare.if it is it is a power problem the dc filter caps

Back