Received custom guitar body with one major issue .

ccn

Banned
I waited 4 months for a custom guitar body to be made for me and it finally came in and it's a stunner . Problem is I made it clear that I was going to use a Gotoh Floyd which has larger stud posts than the standard Floyd Rose trem. Well to my disappointment the post holes are drilled for the standard Floyd and are too small for the Gotoh posts.

I researched and researched and every single thing I read about attempting to enlarge the holes to fit the Gotoh studs said it's very difficult to do and have it come out perfectly . Even with a drill press it's very difficult .

People have said to just use original Floyd Rose posts but a lot of folks who did that say it's far from optimal and the Gotoh needs the larger locking posts to work the best.

It was clearly an oversight by the builder , what would you do in this situation ?

Thank you

I feel for you brother ccn!
As bad as it seems, I would ask him for a shipping label immediately for him to fix and ship back to you.
There’s no excuse for this.
OR - Ask him who is in your area that could do the work (that he trusts and could pay) to do the adjustment.

Good luck, it’ll all work out👍

Reactions: ccn
Stupid question: if the bridge is recessed, is the cavity routed for an original Floyd or Gotoh? I would assume they used a template for the OFR, in which case the Gotoh is too large. You may need an OFR or Lockmeister.

The bridge is not recessed .

P1040794.JPG

Going out on a limb here, because I am NOT familiar with the Gotoh..........could you use OFR inserts that a machine shop bored out + re-threaded, to fit the Gotoh studs ?

Not going to lie, I’d go get my bigger drill bit and just fix it myself.

If the route needs to be larger, I’d use my dremel and a sanding wheel to fix it.

It’s not painted so to me it is an easy fix.

In summary I’d not even bother with sending it back or wasting more time. The reason why is because sometimes the hassle isn’t worth the headache - I’d fix it myself and just move on. But that’s just me. I drilled a hole for a 4th preamp tube in my 74 Marshall so I don’t GAF.

Not going to lie, I’d go get my bigger drill bit and just fix it myself.

If the route needs to be larger, I’d use my dremel and a sanding wheel to fix it.

It’s not painted so to me it is an easy fix.

In summary I’d not even bother with sending it back or wasting more time. The reason why is because sometimes the hassle isn’t worth the headache - I’d fix it myself and just move on. But that’s just me. I drilled a hole for a 4th preamp tube in my 74 Marshall so I don’t GAF.
A knock out punch does a much cleaner hole than a drill bit. Order a knockout punch on Amazon, punch your hole, and return the kit for refund on your Prime account LOL Yeah, that's what I did.

I waited 4 months for a custom guitar body to be made for me and it finally came in and it's a stunner . Problem is I made it clear that I was going to use a Gotoh Floyd which has larger stud posts than the standard Floyd Rose trem. Well to my disappointment the post holes are drilled for the standard Floyd and are too small for the Gotoh posts.

I researched and researched and every single thing I read about attempting to enlarge the holes to fit the Gotoh studs said it's very difficult to do and have it come out perfectly . Even with a drill press it's very difficult .

People have said to just use original Floyd Rose posts but a lot of folks who did that say it's far from optimal and the Gotoh needs the larger locking posts to work the best.

It was clearly an oversight by the builder , what would you do in this situation ?

Thank you
I prefer the Floyd Rose posts with the Gotoh Floyds…we’ve had zero issues with how the bridge operates. Matt/ Chubtone Guitars

Attachments

• 915708E5-7D7E-4E1E-ABC7-ABED0BCF8207.jpeg
    915708E5-7D7E-4E1E-ABC7-ABED0BCF8207.jpeg
    207.1 KB · Views: 46
  • 57C7EC1E-BD2F-49F9-B348-7D317B3AB243.jpeg
    57C7EC1E-BD2F-49F9-B348-7D317B3AB243.jpeg
    186.9 KB · Views: 49
Back