Recognizing Intervals by Ear

amiller

How good are you guys at recognizing intervals by ear? If you didn't have access to an instrument and someone played a minor 6th could you immediately identify it by ear? I'm ok with a minor 2nd, 2nd, minor 3rd, 3rd and octave. The rest would be just a guessing game...probably get the 4th and 5th. Have you made a concerted effort to recognize the intervals?

And, the big question, how important do you think it is to be able to recognize ALL the intervals by ear?

I started by using silly songs as a reference to intervals. If you can sing them you will be able to recognize them...its a great trick. Just find any songs that have those intervals in them, they all do, nursery rhymes, anything. EX. Here comes the bride...perfect 4th etc. Works for me.
Yeah I think its very important...especially when improvising to get the notes out that you hear in your head.

War Admiral":112az948 said:
I started by using silly songs as a reference to intervals. If you can sing them you will be able to recognize them...its a great trick. Just find any songs that have those intervals in them, they all do, nursery rhymes, anything. EX. Here comes the bride...perfect 4th etc. Works for me.
Yeah I think its very important...especially when improvising to get the notes out that you hear in your head.

Yeah, I know about the nursery rhymes trick...I've just been too dang lazy...*note to self...get busy! :gethim: :LOL: :LOL:

If I have a guitar in my hands I can eventually get the notes out that I hear in my head. I can also use the guitar and my ears to determine the interval name. What I can't do is determine the interval name if I DON"T have a guitar in hand to help me work it out. I can't just hear an interval and name it without my guitar to assist me.

Back