Recs on where to get good guitar top wood?

CurlOfTheBurl

I'm taking a woodworking class through the local community college and was able to find a nice 8/4 Black Limba board that I've now slip matched into two body blanks. One of the blanks has all of the nice Black Limba grain so won't need a top, but the other is relatively plain, so would benefit from a nice top.

Since I have access to nice jointers, planers, table saws, band saws, etc., I'm actually interested in getting rough wood that I can bookmatch myself.

I'm in Chicago and have checked out the Lombard Owl Lumber, but the figured wood they have looked... meh... and I did try to look for any hidden gems in their maple and walnut stock to no avail.

Does anyone recommend a particular wood vendor for figured wood? There's a lot on Etsy that looks intriguing but curious if any of you have any recs. Local to Chicago is ideal but I understand it's probably slim to no pickins here.

Thanks!

There is a place here in STL called Exotic Wood Zone, they have all sorts of stuff. Try giving them a shot, if you don't see anything you like give them a call and they can probably help you.

https://exoticwoodzone.com/

Another vote for Exotic Wood Zone. I picked up the below top from them a couple of years back.

1678401284017.png

Thank you all! Checking out the options now!

BTW here is the nicer looking Black Limba body blank I joined earlier this week (streaks are some glue drip off that I'll scrape/sand away when I re-plane).

1678454164767.png

Back