Richie Kotzen needs to switch to Suhr!!!!

yngzaklynch

Just my opinion. His tone sucks. Suhr could build him a better Tele than Fender and the Suhrs amps would suite RK perfectly. Ok rant over. I'm just tired of a great player sounding like shit.

Jim

Heritage Softail":3tfuzrrt said:
I will agree on the Suhr tele being awesome. Recent convert myself.
Later this month I'm going to hang out with HardnHeavy who owns 3 Suhrs. One is a sweet Jake E Lee type Strat. The the other two are Tele style Suhrs that I haven't got a to play yet. I'm not a big Tele guy myself but I'm always interested in playing Suhrs. The point of this post is that RK is fantastic player. Been digging his playing since the 80s. But seriously his tone through that shitty Zoom pedal is killing me. Also I wish he would start using a pick again. I'll bet if bought a Suhr rig his tone would be so so much better.

He seems to be a player constantly evolving. What he incorporates this year will be intuitive next year. Always something new creeping in. I like the difference between plucking one string and picking the other at the same time versus just down strumming them both. Even more if you fret both strings with a separate finger vs bridging. Kotzen seems to be a master of when to throw in those nuances. He is going to Mark Knopfler school..!

But yeah, the Suhr tele smokes my Fender USA cherry sunburst for a vintage old tele vibe. The Suhr Tele seems to drop value hard though. They are not popular in the Tele crowd. If buying used keep that in mind. Paid less than half of current new price for a 100% perfect used red metallic classic T. Amazing guitar.... Better than some old vintage refinished teles from the 60's IMO.

Even if it wasn't a tone I'd go for I think his tone is just fine and fits his style perfectly. I really don't think switching to Suhr gear would really make that much difference.

RK s an incredible talent. IMHO his tone has been in decline the last few years. Plus I miss his shred style of the Shrapnel years.

Saw Winery Dogs in November and his tone did not suck :)

He is an incredible player. I can forgive less than ideal tone when there is amazing playing involved....

Funny thing is I did have a nice conversation with him a while ago probably about 5 years ago.
We just had different ideas of the way sales would be handled.
We just never talked since. Great player though.

saw him live with just a Marshall 18W hardwired head and a zoom pedal and his tone killed. Seeing him again at the Baked Potato in LA week after next and I will report on the tone.

Dunno about this assessment, the brand of his guitar is unlikely the problem. :confused:

Maybe he likes whatever tone you are complaining about.

Keep in mind that a lot of times he seems to play through a provided back line. That doesn't help. His tone on the Winery Dogs disk I thought was pretty sweet.

Back