Single Coil size Humbucker or convert?

UsrName

So I just picked up an early 80s ESP strat that I really love. However, I don't love single coil bridge pickups, I'm definitely a humbucker guy. It's only got a sc route so I threw in a SD JB jr and it's just ok. I'm really missing that beefiness of a true hb. Thing is, I don't necessarily want to route this body and possibly hurt the value. Is there another pickup I should try or should I pick up another body that's already routed? Not sure how well it would match up with the neck tho. What do you guys think?

I can’t praise BKP Sinners enough.
If you’ve got the coin, get the set.
They are beefy like a Humbucker, they will grind metal all day, extremely reactive to volume control on the guitar and they clean up beautifully.
Has many of the pros of SSS with position 2&4.
Warm and loud with tons of cut.
They don’t sound exactly like humbuckers, they maintain some of their single coil quality’s, but they are badass and you won’t want to change them for humbuckers.
I’m no virtuoso but this will give you an idea.

Last edited:
I really dig the Duncan Lil’ 59 as a bridge Humbucker in a single coil size. I know they used to make a Lil’ 78 and a lil’ Screamin’ Demon as well. Not sure if those are still available outside of the custom shop - but used offerings may be available.

Possibly look into the Dimarzio Tone Zone S . I had the T version in a Telecaster years ago and that thing sounded huge

These are some interesting options. I'd definitely not like to retain the single coil sound in the bridge position but I would like the in between positions to not change too much. What would work for this?

Back