Slipknot is more fun than I thought

RevDrucifer

This tune is in the setlist for the cover band I just joined. While I love a bunch of Slipknot, I never bothered learning any of their tunes and underestimated a lot of the guitar parts. I never paid attention to how fucking cool the octave licks were in the chorus of this, the verse riff is a wrist workout and there’s a straight up death metal trem picking lick coming out of the middle section that’s pretty sick, as short as it is.

This is a guitar-less track I found on youtube, I made a dual amp preset and hard panned the amps, Mark IV on the left and a Uber on the right.

Used the Fractal for this but in the band it’s all…..wait for it….from the biggest Fractal fanboy here…..TUBE AMP! :LOL: This stuff in particular is a blast to play when the notes are whacking your back and the guys in this band love cranking the fuck up.

SICK

what else is on the setlist?

A bunch of shit I’d never listen to and some stuff I’ve loved since it came out-

IMG_6156.jpeg

If it’s an older tune, Wicked Game, Bad Company, it’s whatever modern band’s heavy cover of it. I took the gig because I miss playing live and thoroughly enjoy our dive bar scene in South Florida, which is 10x more fun if you’re gigging. Band only plays a gig a month, so I still get to spend most of my time doing original stuff in my studio.

And it’s a fun excuse to crank the shit out of an amp. Hoping to pick up a Mesa OS 4x12 tonight because my 2x12 isn’t quite cutting it the way I want!

Duality is the only slipknot song i know. Is there anything else worthy of checkin' out?

Nice playing, from memory I'd say it's cleaner and tighter than the original!
But you didn't need to mention you used digital gear, it was kind of obvious;)

I would get a Mesa 412 Trad.
Duality is the closer huh?
Pretty cool set list.
Good luck and have fun

The setlist will most certainly change frequently, they’ve got a dry erase board filled with about 20 years of learning cover tunes. From what I gather, the bass player started the band 20+ years ago and has kept it going through various lineup changes. Never any crazy shit, just life getting people to move on. IE- the guy I’m replacing didn’t quit over bad blood, his father is passing on from cancer and he had to move in to take care of it.

Nice! Where in South Florida do you play?

They seem to only book between West Palm and Ft. Lauderdale, which is FINE for me because I fucking HATE Miami.

They’ve done a bunch of gigs at Piper’s in Pompano, which is how I found out about them as that’s my watering hole and they actually book some great acts there, George Lynch and Joey Belladonna both gigged their this year already.

Duality is the only slipknot song i know. Is there anything else worthy of checkin' out?

Nice playing, from memory I'd say it's cleaner and tighter than the original!
But you didn't need to mention you used digital gear, it was kind of obvious;)

I love a ton of their shit, but I have no qualms about digging a catchy chorus which seems to be venom to a lot of people. Their production got better as time went on and people associate the lack of raw production for “selling out”. I can usually find 2-3 songs on each album I really dig.

“Sulfur”
“Snuff”
“Sarcastrophe”
“Custer”
“The Devil In I”
“AOV”
“Before I Forget” (we do that one, too)

Hahahha and yeah, I’m guessing Jim Root is ‘the organic rock and roll guy and not the “meticulous picker” in the band, I dunno if this is how he plays all the time but it doesn’t seem like clean and accurate is his thing-

I love a ton of their shit, but I have no qualms about digging a catchy chorus which seems to be venom to a lot of people. Their production got better as time went on and people associate the lack of raw production for “selling out”. I can usually find 2-3 songs on each album I really dig.

“Sulfur”
“Snuff”
“Sarcastrophe”
“Custer”
“The Devil In I”
“AOV”
“Before I Forget” (we do that one, too)

Hahahha and yeah, I’m guessing Jim Root is ‘the organic rock and roll guy and not the “meticulous picker” in the band, I dunno if this is how he plays all the time but it doesn’t seem like clean and accurate is his thing-

Thanks!
I check them out.
2-3 songs per album is kind of the usual with a lot of bands:D

i like the ultra raw tone in that guitar lesson vid(y)

I have a ton of respect for Slipknot, their first album is an amazing album..one of my favorite metal albums. Mick was such a cool guy talking gear back in the day when they were just starting out...his thoughts on tone and why he didn't use 7 strings.

I'd say Jim Root is better than he comes across and can play better too if pushed. Some of Slipknot's appeal is actually the back and forth between loose and tight, sloppy and efficient, etc. Not sure swing is the right word but interesting to say the least. They can go from brash to melodic on a dime.

Other guitarist of SlipKnot, Mick Thompson, below.

As far as other cool songs I'd throw out 'Wait and Bleed', 'Left Behind', 'Psychosocial', 'Dead Memories', 'AOV', 'Nomadic', 'The Negative One'.

And one of their most recent albums, We Are Not Your Kind - has some good shit too: 'Nero Forte', 'Not Long For This World', and then this beauty:

I'd say Jim Root is better than he comes across and can play better too if pushed. Some of Slipknot's appeal is actually the back and forth between loose and tight, sloppy and efficient, etc. Not sure swing is the right word but interesting to say the least. They can go from brash to melodic on a dime.

Other guitarist of SlipKnot, Mick Thompson, below.

As far as other cool songs I'd throw out 'Wait and Bleed', 'Left Behind', 'Psychosocial', 'Dead Memories', 'AOV', 'Nomadic', 'The Negative One'.

And one of their most recent albums, We Are Not Your Kind - has some good shit too: 'Nero Forte', 'Not Long For This World', and then this beauty:

Strongly agree with the differences between the two guys being part of the charm. I was listening to an interview with Dave Fortman the other day and he was talking about how he’d utilize each guy, sometimes getting Mick to track a part if he needed it super tight because Jim is a looser player, but he spoke of them both as equals. My favorite part of Slipknot is how they can go from controlled and precise to off the rails. One of my favorite bands to see live.

In other news, got a text from the guitarist in the cover band yesterday morning, apparently the guitarist who had to quit worked out his weekends and they no longer need me. I was a little pissed for a few hours as I clarified the situation with them last week and was told it’s a done deal. I can’t say learning Five Finger Death Punch and Seether songs taught me anything other than I really fucking hate those songs. :LOL:

Strongly agree with the differences between the two guys being part of the charm. I was listening to an interview with Dave Fortman the other day and he was talking about how he’d utilize each guy, sometimes getting Mick to track a part if he needed it super tight because Jim is a looser player, but he spoke of them both as equals. My favorite part of Slipknot is how they can go from controlled and precise to off the rails. One of my favorite bands to see live.

In other news, got a text from the guitarist in the cover band yesterday morning, apparently the guitarist who had to quit worked out his weekends and they no longer need me. I was a little pissed for a few hours as I clarified the situation with them last week and was told it’s a done deal. I can’t say learning Five Finger Death Punch and Seether songs taught me anything other than I really fucking hate those songs. :LOL:
That Beato diddy of 'What Makes This Song Great' really opened up my eyes as to how complex some of there songs are even if it seems simple to the average. Growing up, I always considered them too gimmicky for my taste. Maybe because at that point I was burned out on the KISS gimmick, even though the music is light years apart. It wasn't until about 6 years ago, or whenever .5 The Gray Chapter came out. Then I dove in and bought all their albums, understood the mask thing, saw them live 3 times now etc etc.

Sorry about the gig thing. Too bad it couldn't be in a contract or something. But then, I can't play any of those songs or gig so hats off to you. :yes:

That Beato diddy of 'What Makes This Song Great' really opened up my eyes as to how complex some of there songs are even if it seems simple to the average. Growing up, I always considered them too gimmicky for my taste. Maybe because at that point I was burned out on the KISS gimmick, even though the music is light years apart. It wasn't until about 6 years ago, or whenever .5 The Gray Chapter came out. Then I dove in and bought all their albums, understood the mask thing, saw them live 3 times now etc etc.

Sorry about the gig thing. Too bad it couldn't be in a contract or something. But then, I can't play any of those songs or gig so hats off to you. :yes:

Man, I think the masks were why I wrote them off for so long, despite being a huge Mudvayne fan. To be fair, I also thought Mudvayne was silly for it. These days I get it a bit more, not so much Slipknot themselves but how a lot of musicians are really into the art/visual aspect of things and it’s equally as important to them as the music. I definitel looked at them as a satirical band for a long time as I was coming out of my “If it’s not progressive metal with sick solos it sucks” phase

Back