Soldanos users chime in Slo versus JMP

I’ve had lots of amps that don’t need any boost (actually sound worse/choked with them), but perhaps are more metal than what you may be going for. My Hermansson’s, Wizard Hell Razor, Megalith Beta, OG Uberschall, Langner modded Marshall I had, and most Cameron’s I had (as some examples) I’d never boost

I’d boost my iic+, Recto’s, SLO, Marshall’s and Naylor’s (used to have 2)
Where did your Langner go? 😯

While I loved Ed's live tone at Cabo Wabo opening it did seem to have some raw kerrang to it maybe a bit subdued. An amp that seems to have that raw kerrang yet still has a master volume and effects loop is the Morris UK68. Here's a clip of the UK68 and a 71 Marshall amp by the same guy. The previous Morris amps seemed to miss the mark but this UK68 sounds pretty darn good but I can only go off the clips.

Marshall

Cool clips. I really liked the Morris ones best. The Marshall clip has a top end super crisp/sizzle that I don't like, where as the Morris sounded more balanced up top. I'm sure the Marshall in the room would sound fantastic too, just out of those clips I prefer the Morris. Cool amp I've not seen before.

Cool clips. I really liked the Morris ones best. The Marshall clip has a top end super crisp/sizzle that I don't like, where as the Morris sounded more balanced up top. I'm sure the Marshall in the room would sound fantastic too, just out of those clips I prefer the Morris. Cool amp I've not seen before.
The UK68 is a really killer amp that I hope more people get to try eventually. There's a lot more to it than what I'm showing in those clips. As for that Marshall clip... it's one I made in haste after first getting the amp and being excited to share. Not a fan of the playing at all on that one or how it came out overall. And that top end sizzle can for sure be tamed a bit if you want.

Regarding the SLO, I've had a love/hate thing with that amp going back 20 years. Owned a couple of them and played several others over the years. Overall, I just prefer a more open amp with greater touch response. I'd choose a good Marshall over an SLO any day, especially for more dynamic playing where you're riding the guitar's volume knob a lot.

Man son you got ahold of some good drugs with your explanation there!!!!! Awesome!!!!👏

LOL thanks ! It's kinda hard to put sounds into words without getting either overly technical with dB ad kHz or plain weird with crazy metaphors. I chose the second option !

Just agreeing with others, owing BOTH would be pretty epic (a long time SLO owner but often keeping an eye out for a STOCK JMP in good condition, recently recapped, tubed, biased and ready for prime time).

Last edited:
Guys like Eric Steckel just use ch 3 all day for solos and it works. If ch 2 was voiced like a real Marshall it would be a great amp -midi 3 ch's ect
Since I had owned an SLO years ago I had heard the Soldano SLO comparisons beforehand and I thought great, SLO tonally with a modern slant let's give it a go. I couldn't do anything with it except get a decent lead tone. Boost in front, no boost, eq in front and loop...even combined them in various way and it was just a no go. Now the amp build was a work of art, it's seriously a thing of beauty. What made it worse was at the time I had just purchased the Engl Artist which "for me" mind you, blew it in the weeds. Luckily I was just doing some flipping at the time for fun and neither were going to, nor intended to replace my main amps so I got over it pretty quick lol.

Like @CarlF not sure I get the Marshall comparisons. My first three amps growing up where a MKII JMP Combo, MKII Non MV JMP 100 watt head and a MKII MV JMP 50 Watt head, the cherry of the bunch. My current amps are Marshalls but to each their own.

Last edited:
So last night I put an Aldrich pup in my R9 and as I dialed in the Alta my conclusion was a Slo is not needed at this time. What say you all?

The Alta has the perfect balance of being able to get as aggressive as a I need with no nasally aspect like others I have had -largely due to the OD into the front that headfirst has masterfully solved!

BTW I just need a pack of Marlboro's rolled up in my T shirt sleeve eh? Lol! Actually just got home from work put sweats on and went out to install pup with no thought of what I was wearing

Owned 2, gigged with a slo 30 for a couple of years. Be cool to mix the alta with a Slo 100 kinda like Lynch did on the wicked sensation lp

I owned an '89 SLO and mostly play JMP 2204. I didn't think they sounded too much a like.

Others have summed up the differences. The SLO to me just seemed to lack character. Too smooth. There's plenty of cut and high end, but maybe it was too high a frequency. The Marshall high end just seems to bite more and sounded better to me.

I owned an '89 SLO and mostly play JMP 2204. I didn't think they sounded too much a like.

Others have summed up the differences. The SLO to me just seemed to lack character. Too smooth. There's plenty of cut and high end, but maybe it was too high a frequency. The Marshall high end just seems to bite more and sounded better to me.
A Slo - 'smooth' ?? For my tatses the rude sizzle grainy aspect that cannot be dialed out of either channels is why I got rid of mine

I do think that R9 does sound good. I had the Aldrich in a Suhr modern and didn't car for it much.
Agreed I'd had an Aldrich in other guitars in the past and had no intention of getting another but a buddy had one in an SG which sounded ok, but I took the plunge and could not be happier. Supper muscular and well balanced is how I would describe it

I realize that a 20 watter doesn’t seem like an obvious answer but the Soldano Astro 20 was the answer for me. SLO gain and voicing that’s 3 channels (7 if using midi). Definitely give it a test run. It easily kept up at band volume.

Last edited:
Back