Song Mix Critiques Wanted

Drkorey

Hey Everyone,

I am about ready to get a song mastered and this is the current mix. I would like some opinions on how the mix sounds to you and if there are any suggestions. There are a few things I hear that I think could be changed - (an instrument volume boost here, another cut there, etc.).
Unfortunately, it seems that Soundcloud is compressing the mp3 some. If there is a better way to post an mp3 or wav for a more clear listen, let me know.
It is a rock, alt. rock and punkish? mix in style.
Thoughts appreciated, thanks.

Last edited:
Thanks man, much appreciated.
Guitar: Main guitar was a 2013 Gibson LP standard w/ Suhr Aldrich bridge pickup. Back ground strum chords in the middle "I close my eyes" part was with a Friedman NoHo 24.
Amp: 2013 Wizard MCI into a Suhr RL and Ownhammer IRs. Might have had a boost for a slight freq. filter (I'll check my notes).
Bass: Ernie Ball Music Man 2 hum Stingray Stealth with a plug in (I'll have to check which specific one).

Last edited:
I think the core guitar sound is absolutely fantastic, although I would turn down the high mids (3-4k??) a hair or two, and maybe boost the volume a hair to compensate, to give it a tiny bit more definition. The amount of midrange is right on that edge where if you went further it would neuter what is undoubtedly a killer tone.

The bass guitar is good but kind of stock - maybe a bit more clang? Maybe a slight chorus?

The midrange telephone effect on the backing vocals isn't my jam at all, I do like the panning of it though. I would probably do center panned call/LR hard panned response with maybe 1 or two slight ping pong echoes or something to separate the lines without going as far as the telephone effect.

All in all a very, very good recording with great performances all around - all the tweaks i've mentioned are way more about my personal taste than objective criticism. It's just stuff I would do if I was in your position.

Thanks guys.
Dan - I'll experiment a bit with the guitar EQ recommendation and see how it goes. I think we did a re mix at one point with a little less of the megaphone/bull horn/telephone effect, as well.
I keep thinking that the cymbals might need to be a bit louder and vocals should be a touch more as well; the bass and maybe bass drum and snare a little lower in volume.
But, depending on what medium I listen to it on: car, phone, computer, monitors it all changes and can drive you a bit nuts to get "perfect" lol.

Thanks guys.
Dan - I'll experiment a bit with the guitar EQ recommendation and see how it goes. I think we did a re mix at one point with a little less of the megaphone/bull horn/telephone effect, as well.
I keep thinking that the cymbals might need to be a bit louder and vocals should be a touch more as well; the bass and maybe bass drum and snare a little lower in volume.
But, depending on what medium I listen to it on: car, phone, computer, monitors it all changes and can drive you a bit nuts to get "perfect" lol.

Oh man, I know that pain! Sounds great and keep up the good work though

Hey Everyone,

I am about ready to get a song mastered and this is the current mix. I would like some opinions on how the mix sounds to you and if there are any suggestions. There are a few things I hear that I think could be changed - (an instrument volume boost here, another cut there, etc.).
Unfortunately, it seems that Soundcloud is compressing the mp3 some. If there is a better way to post an mp3 or wav for a more clear listen, let me know.
It is a rock, alt. rock and punkish? mix in style.
Thoughts appreciated, thanks.

Where's the song? I tried on 3 different browsers.

Hey Johnny,
I inserted the Soundcloud link in the original post next to the pic of the LP, if that is what you were looking for. Thanks.

Back