Speakers and cabs for Egnater IE4

jbrown013

Hi. I recently received a egnater ie4 and a mesa 2 50 2 6l6. I was wondering what would people recommend for a cab and speaker. I play a verity of music from blues to classic rock. I was thinking of going with 1x12's but kind of like the idea of a 2x12 allowing two speakers working together to deliver a sound. I don't require a lot of volume.

Some contenders I've thought of were mesa thiele 1x12, bognor cube (unsure of what speaker I'd want), an open back 1x12 cab with either blues or golds. I also considered ear candy 1x12s.

My rig so far contains lexicon pcm 81, eventide eclipse, tc 1210, Ensoniq DP Pro and a korg dl8000r as well as the egnater ie4 and mesa 2:50:2.

Any assistance would be great! !

Thanks!

Nice selection of processors there! I also use a PCM80, Eclipse, and Ensoniq DP Pro but with an Egnater M4.

The cab choices you mentioned would be great. I have two 2x12 cabs I use in stereo; a Port City with WHS ET65 and Veteran30 and a Egnater TM with Scumback M75. I would definitely go for a 2x12 over a 1x12 unless you are getting two 1x12s to run in stereo (with the amazing processors you have it would be a sin not to run in stereo).

I'm a big fan of the Warehouse Guitar speakers; cheap and sound great. FWIW, I tried the Scumbacks in the Port City and they sounded horrible in that cabinet so I went with the WHS and have been very happy. The Scumbacks sound great in the TM cab however. I found the Eggie TM cab on Ebay for $200 used and swapped the speakers.

Lot's of choices though, depends what you want to spend I guess.

Yes I will be running this in stereo :) I think 1x12's maybe 0kay but didn't want to count 2x12s out. Just so many options.

For many years I ran almost that same rig (2:90 instead of 2:50 and slightly different effects but same ballpark.)

I used 2 1x12 thiele cabs with vintage 30's in them. They sounded fine if you were more than 20 feet away, but they are really directional.

If I had that to do over again I'd probably use something like the bogner or new Suhr 1x12 ported cabs that are supposed to be not so directional. I'd also go with the WGS ET65 speakers. I have those in a Port City and really like them and I also have Heritage G1265 speakers in a Two Rock cab. They are similar but the WGS are a lot cheaper.

If you play mostly rock tones and your clean tone doesn't have to be super sparkly, those speakers will be great. If you want brighter, it's out there but it's not my thing.

Back