Star Guitar build

Fusionbear

Ever since I saw Akira Takasaki of Loudness back in the 80's, I've wanted a Star shaped guitar. But, for whatever reason, never got around to getting one. I'm glad though. Was not a fan of the headstock. Just recently I got the star bug again and could not find what I wanted, so I decided to build one from the great folks at Warmoth.

I ordered a in stock body, so I couldn't use the configurator.

Screenshot_20240323_140013_Chrome~2.jpg

Screenshot_20240323_140334_Chrome~2.jpg

Last edited:
I have one of those Epiphone Strat necks, been debating getting either a Star shaped body for it due to also being a huge Akira fan. Though I also think Chris Logue from Savage Grace's star-shaped guitar, with the Strat headstock was pretty cool.

I ordered it with these specs:

Body color: Surf Green - gloss. Mohogany Body has contoured heel.
Neck finish: satin Nitro with Surf Green gloss headstock face.

Config: neck single coil, bridge humbucker, no middle pup.

Controls: 250k vol. For neck pup, 500k vol. For bridge pup, three way toggle.

Bridge: Floyd Rose original, recessed.

Neck Specs: Roasted maple with an Indian Rosewood board, standard thin profile, 9.5-14 compound radius, 1 11/16" width, 6105SS frets. R3 FR nut, gotoh tuners.

Last edited:
That’s pretty cool, hope it works out. I get a bug for one of those Killer guitars from time to time, start looking at the import cheaper models and usually drift to “if I get one, get the Akira Takasaki model” then end up on it costs too much. So never pull the trigger. Would be interested how this comes out for sure.

Be aware. I was disappointed with the pickup placement on my Warmoth build. It was too far from the bridge IMO. In hindsight, I wish I had chosen to do a Schaller style Floyd instead of a fixed bridge.

Be aware. I was disappointed with the pickup placement on my Warmoth build. It was too far from the bridge IMO. In hindsight, I wish I had chosen to do a Schaller style Floyd instead of a fixed bridge.

I asked about the dimensions from their customer service. With a FR, it's optimal and almost exactly the same distance as my Suhr Modern guitars.

I have a V220 and a ML, but no home built stars. Those things are pretty sweet! I've been digging on the new Lzzy Hale Kramer voyager lately, but they're a bit too proud of a bolt on MIC with meh electronics and hardware for the $$$. It's cool though. Good luck on your build!

1711478940091.jpeg

I have a V220 and a ML, but no home built stars. Those things are pretty sweet! I've been digging on the new Lzzy Hale Kramer voyager lately, but they're a bit too proud of a bolt on MIC with meh electronics and hardware for the $$$. It's cool though. Good luck on your build!

View attachment 298809
Hamer and Epiphone really need to slow down on their crazy prices these days. Sad thing is they'll get away with it because people are willing to pay tons of money for a legacy brand name.

Hamer and Epiphone really need to slow down on their crazy prices these days. Sad thing is they'll get away with it because people are willing to pay tons of money for a legacy brand name.

I have a feeling that these prices aren't going away anytime soon. If anything, we're probably in for more $ increases as the market becomes more flooded and demand goes away. Which would normally seem a bit backwards, but I think these companies are now producing less instruments while trying to maintain the same revenue. So, there's really only one way to do that. I've seen huge price drops (not just sale, but actual MSRP/MAP) on mid range Jackson stuff and a few others, but I have a feeling they're just looking to drop those lines altogether and clearing out what's left.

/\ agreed. But I rarely see something stock from any guitar manufacturer that I want anymore. I've become way too picky about what I want in a guitar. As for the OP, I had a couple of the bottom of the line Killer Pirate models back in the early 90s that I absolutely loved with wild abandon. Like seriously loved those guitars. I keep saying I wanna score another one lately, but then some amp becomes available and....

Back