Stop picking noise

Sometimes when playing single notes, one can actually hear the picking sound coming out the amp. How can I stop this?

The angle of attack, how and how much you dig in & material the pick is made of makes a lot of difference ... impossible to completely remove but you want to look at this stuff to find what works for you.

:confused: I thought it was a interesting spam style. The name/photo/link.... and including a looked up / searched for the original post answer. Not bad actually.

As Stephen Sawall says above :but adding to it;

The Tortex picks for example, are low on pick noise due to the material - and using .88 and 1.0 or larger since the rounded edge" wraps around the string" if you use the correct angle , and subtle circle picking, lessens noise even more.

As these picks wear they get a little edge ( and sound like a thinner gauge )- you can light sand them back with 320 paper to re- round them.

Practice on one note alternate picking and get the upstrokes and downstrokes to sound the same ( and being able to accent either one ) and exaggerate the attack like a Flamenco Player then back it off to smoother and smoother. Slow and fast ( called Tremelo Picking like mandolin players do and EVH used to in some solos ).

You are controlling depth of the pick into the string-( how hard you pick), and the pick angle- eventually you just "hear it" in your mind and there's no thought about it- gets automatic.

I have my pickups set far from the strings so if I pick softly ( not digging in very hard ) at higher speeds- it can almost sound like tapping- but if I pick hard you hear the attack, but still very little "clank" at the beginning of the note unless I really nail it.

Players who mostly pick really hard sound better on Acoustic IMO because the heavy percussive attack with gain through an Amp can be harsh IMO as opposed to players like E J, Gilmour, Timmons, who use a more "bowed " attack.

Delay tends to soften attack on your Leads- and of course an Amp or Preamp that has a little "sag" also softens attack, as do Tube Pedals like Chandler or Butler Tube overdrives, Radial Tone Bones etc - even with subtle gain- but best to get it with your Fingers ( controlled picking attack), mostly IMO.

Elixir Coated Strings soften a tiny bit more, as do other warmer toned strings once you have the above stuff really together( but this is very subtle, but good for Recording IMO).

Excellent post robertkoa....

My playing is very dynamic & I cover the entire spectrum of soft & hard attack. I also do most of my writing on acoustics because it does not hide dynamics & in my experience if it sounds good on a acoustic it will sound good on a electric also.

Try not using a pick I.E. Derek Trucks. But if you have to use one listen to robertkoa, ALOT of good input he gave you.
Check out some Sunny Landreth too if you haven't he use's a thumb pick and fingers.

Excelent posts there. My best advice would be to experiment with all the different materials available as they all have an inherent sonic character to them.

I like the pick noise. Otherwise, it will sound like synth :D On a more serious note, try different picks, hitting the string lighter, trying hotter pickups, dailing out the top end on the amp etc.

robertkoa":px432yff said:
As Stephen Sawall says above :but adding to it;

The Tortex picks for example, are low on pick noise due to the material - and using .88 and 1.0 or larger since the rounded edge" wraps around the string" if you use the correct angle , and subtle circle picking, lessens noise even more.

As these picks wear they get a little edge ( and sound like a thinner gauge )- you can light sand them back with 320 paper to re- round them.

Just gotta love Tortex picks ;)

inhuman666, by picking noise do you mean the kind of "clicking" sound that players like Paul Gilbert or John Petrucci make when playing fast parts?

stephen sawall":7u1jyjam said:
It is the click sound that always happens when ever anyone uses a pick.

In that case i have nothing to contribute to this discussion. I love that picking noise. :D High gain, neck pickup, fast runs, pick noise. :rock:

What about just getting new pickups?????

Im sure its ALWAYS there but much much less when I go from Duncan designed to an Actual Duncan or Dimarzio.

Back