Strength without Tension

HowMuchYaBench

Hey guys,

I saw a good thread on another guitar site and I thought I'd post the topic here to get some RT thoughts. As the subject might have revealed, the thread was about developing hand strength and efficiency without tension. It seems like this is the key to playing fast and comfortably. One poster over there commented that developing strength without tension must be done by slowing down tempos and maximizing economy of motion through muscle memory.

What do you guys think? I'd love to hear some thoughts and experiences on the subject.

Slowing down tempos and maximizing economy of motion through muscle memory is exactly how my guitar instructor taught me. I had to be very determined and consciously focus on relaxing the tension and I still have a long way to go. I think it gets better, over time, as I learn how to be more graceful in my technique. Like I said, I have a long way to go, but I'm better playing with less tension than I was last year, at this time. I think it's just one of those maturity things.

I have a hard time with my picking hand, specifically down picking patterns and fast choked noted stuff. I think piecing things together in combination with slowing things down is the way to get through it. It just takes time.

I have played for years using a lot of slower stuff, but it's because that was the type of bluesy music I liked, but I'd like to be able to play faster, but you have to be able to for sure have strength and yet not tension. I'm wondering if using a scalloped neck helps? Anyone? I mean, does it help you relax your hand so that you can play easier or faster or?
Thanks
Tim

Your teachers are exactly right...hand strength is so important but when you play you have to relax...its like having a ferrari motor but only running it at 50% but that 50% is way the fuck faster and more efficient than some hatch back rusted out pinto going full out! :LOL: :LOL:

A scalloped neck does not help...it only emphasises the need to lighten up with less tension when you play because youd be right out of tune. Scalloping only lessens the friction caused by fretboards...easier bending and more control over the note once you are used to it.

Back