Suhr modern frost vs. Tom anderson drop top

psche378

I just pulled the trigger on my first Suhr!! :rock: Its a Modern Frost in Blue Chill finish I am anxiously awaiting its arrival. Anyway it was a hard decision between this and the tom Anderson drop top. I ended up choosing the Suhr because of the Plekked frets and I just think they look a lot better plus I love John's pickups. I know this is the Suhr forum of rig-talk so it might be a little biased but what do you guys prefer and why also how do you think the modern frost stacks up to any of your custom Suhr's if any of you have experience playing both Im hoping the wood combo of alder body maple neck Pau Ferro board is as versatile as it is in my head any thoughts? Im new to Rig-Talk so don't crush me if this has been done a million times haven't figured out how to search yet

I've owned close to 20 Andersons before switching to Suhr when the modern came out. Suhr offers more options than Tom but other than that, quality wise they are on par. Andersons fret work without plek is flawless. Tom now offers 24 frets as well. Suhr and Anderson are the only way to go for high end bolt-on neck guitars IMO. Both are great.

good to know man thanks for the info man I didn't bond with the modern frost I just got kinda stiff feeling if that makes sense I got a custom curly koa suhr classic T w dual hums and gotoh 510 I got in trade off a forum member I am gonna give suhr another shot

Tough call. I currently have a Suhr Standard, an Anderson Pro Am, and an Anderson Angel. I love all three of them. Quality wise you can't go wrong either way.

the modern's neck is flatter on the back more "modern" it will also have more shoulders because it's not a c shape. You have a choice on a flatter radius or no compound radius which you do not get on the Anderson's. I believe all Anderson's have the 12-14. I personally prefer the straight 14" or 16" these days. I have not played the angel yet but i know the Anderson's have a little more of a c shape neck and a smaller board width towards the end of the fretboard. The thing i notice about the modern after playing it for a while is it doesn't scream "I'm playing a 24 fret guitar" I think it has to do with the body shape and where the neck joins the body. The angel does look like it has a little better fret access but I would assume its going to feel more like playing a 24 fret guitar. I have played a tom Anderson drop top and I think they are some of the best instruments I have ever played but I do like a flatter neck and radius. It also sounds like people either love the Anderson pickups or hate them. I do like all the options on the suhrs. I feel like you can build your own instrument which can be awesome or go horribly wrong. With Tom Anderson's guitars you are more or less playing what he allows you to play and that works for allot of people. Fit and Finish on both are incredible just comes down to preference. In my opinion Tom makes the best single cut guitar in the world!.

Back