Suhr Pro Series Cracks

Guitar Joe

I bought a Suhr Pro Series – S2 in Fiesta Red about a year ago from Diffusion Audio in Canada. The guitar plays fantastically but the other day I was giving it a good clean and noticed cracks in the paint at the neck joint (see attached pictures). The guitar never leaves the house and is kept in a moisture controlled area. The guitar only receives about 10 hours a week in playing time as I also have other guitars. Is this a structural problem and will the cracks keep getting bigger?

Attachments

• IMG_3355.JPG
    IMG_3355.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 5,475
  • IMG_3357.JPG
    IMG_3357.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 5,096
  • IMG_2770.JPG
    IMG_2770.JPG
    907.5 KB · Views: 5,015
I have a very similar crack in my modern. Interesting. I'll post a pic when I get home. Curios to the responses you get

RSRD":26ph1grl said:
I have a very similar crack in my modern. Interesting. I'll post a pic when I get home. Curios to the responses you get

For the price it should be crack free - just sayin

I'm probably the 5th + owner of my suhr so I can't comment on that. Sure there is a logical explanation. To be honest I don't notice my. The seller had pointed it out. It's very insignificant to me. But I hear where you are Coming from if you bought new

Neck pocket cracks are actually pretty common with bolt-on guitars. It's just in the upper finish--the wood isn't actually cracked. Ibanez RGs and JEMs have been doing this since the 80's. Google it?

racerevlon":38hdackv said:
Neck pocket cracks are actually pretty common with bolt-on guitars. It's just in the upper finish--the wood isn't actually cracked. Ibanez RGs and JEMs have been doing this since the 80's. Google it?
Thanks for the input

Guitar Joe":3b5mkzce said:
RSRD":3b5mkzce said:

For the price it should be crack free - just sayin

I'll give you the same response that JS himself will probably be giving you in this thread: Better to contact Suhr first with this problem. As racerevlon said, many bolt-on guitars can have these. You mention price...A lot of EBMM guitars of similar price have had these.

Contact Suhr. John gets upset when people post about issues. Truth is those guys will do anything to make you happy when you call or contact them and respond immediately. I had an issue once and posted and John immediately got in touch with me and resolved it. As posted you're issue is not uncommon with bolt ons. They are hairline surface cracks

Guitar Joe":1g4joq8t said:
I bought a Suhr Pro Series – S2 in Fiesta Red about a year ago from Diffusion Audio in Canada. The guitar plays fantastically but the other day I was giving it a good clean and noticed cracks in the paint at the neck joint (see attached pictures). The guitar never leaves the house and is kept in a moisture controlled area. The guitar only receives about 10 hours a week in playing time as I also have other guitars. Is this a structural problem and will the cracks keep getting bigger?

PLEASE use our email for support.
Neck pocket cracks are about the most common thing to happen to a neck pocket if there is a snug fit to the neck. No bolt ons are immune. They are not always there but can happen from a drop in the case, shipping or if the wood shrinks or expands. Even in a home with well maintained climate sometimes the humidity can go hair wire. No amount of home humidity control will stop it. Especially during the winter. You can send it back to us and we could make sure it is well sealed for you or refinish it if you have some time but it really isn't anything structural to worry about. Guys with lacquer finishes pay extra for that ;)

glip22":3ha9iyt3 said:
Contact Suhr. John gets upset when people post about issues. Truth is those guys will do anything to make you happy when you call or contact them and respond immediately. I had an issue once and posted and John immediately got in touch with me and resolved it. As posted you're issue is not uncommon with bolt ons. They are hairline surface cracks that can be buffed out more than likely.

I don't get upset because it is posted, I get frustrated that the person who has the most knowledge (Suhr) about a way to fix it, help the customer or get it resolved isn't consulted first so I have to go look for people who might have questions on 10 forums :D . Some post the same question everywhere.
If you guys want answers to your questions on a guitar you should contact the manufacturer first especially when they answer tech questions throughout the day including on weekends.

It started years ago when someone called me a "F'ing tool" on a website because he had some issue on his instrument. When I was alerted to the persons problem I joined the newsgroup, dealt with him and made him happy. The response when I asked why didn't he contact me first was "I didn't think you would care" .....probably the furthest thing from the truth.

Suhr":2gzytffw said:
glip22":2gzytffw said:
Contact Suhr. John gets upset when people post about issues. Truth is those guys will do anything to make you happy when you call or contact them and respond immediately. I had an issue once and posted and John immediately got in touch with me and resolved it. As posted you're issue is not uncommon with bolt ons. They are hairline surface cracks that can be buffed out more than likely.

I don't get upset because it is posted, I get frustrated that the person who has the most knowledge (Suhr) about a way to fix it, help the customer or get it resolved isn't consulted first so I have to go look for people who might have questions on 10 forums :D . Some post the same question everywhere.
If you guys want answers to your questions on a guitar you should contact the manufacturer first especially when they answer tech questions throughout the day including on weekends.

It started years ago when someone called me a "F'ing tool" on a website because he had some issue on his instrument. When I was alerted to the persons problem I joined the newsgroup, dealt with him and made him happy. The response when I asked why didn't he contact me first was "I didn't think you would care" .....probably the furthest thing from the truth.
:thumbsup: Suhr has OUTSTANDING customer support :rock: :rock:

Suhr":30dstrkm said:
glip22":30dstrkm said:

John, You are not a tool. :LOL: :LOL:

glip22":1ru4h3zj said:
Suhr":1ru4h3zj said:
glip22":1ru4h3zj said:

John, You are not a tool. :LOL: :LOL:

So..Your saying he's a "F'ing" ????? :D :LOL: :LOL:

Suhr":em7sdkrh said:
Guitar Joe":em7sdkrh said:

PLEASE use our email for support.
Neck pocket cracks are about the most common thing to happen to a neck pocket if there is a snug fit to the neck. No bolt ons are immune. They are not always there but can happen from a drop in the case, shipping or if the wood shrinks or expands. Even in a home with well maintained climate sometimes the humidity can go hair wire. No amount of home humidity control will stop it. Especially during the winter. You can send it back to us and we could make sure it is well sealed for you or refinish it if you have some time but it really isn't anything structural to worry about. Guys with lacquer finishes pay extra for that ;)

John

Thanks for the answer - I can live with the cracks. :)

Also what a fantastic guitar.

Expansion and contraction.
No bolt on is immune to this occasional occurrence.
I do have 13 Suhr guitars myself though and not one has the issue exempt for my lacquer Antiques. Mostly cause I don't play out any more LOL.
I have seen it in every brand bolt on out there. I have never seen it as a problem relating to the wood. More in shipping, being dropped in the case and quick humidity changes. It will happen more often with thin hard finishes. Less with more elastic finishes. Nothing to worry about but we can seal it up here so it doesn't get worse.

I can attest to Suhr's customer service - I had a wiring issue with a new CAR Suhr Standard where the bridge HB (and middle single) pickup would sputter like a fuzz pedal when adjusting volume or switching pickups. Suhr sent me a call tag, fixed the problem, and I had the guitar back in about a week. The attention to customer satisfaction is second to none (in the guitar business). I custom ordered a custom shop build Suhr back in May and have a Pro Series as well. Fantastic guitars and John (and Shon) will treat you right - just don't be a doofus and smear them for no reason.

By comparison I had bought a NEW PRS NF3 with maple neck that had big gaps where fret tang touches fretboard...took pics and PRS said it was "within spec". "Within spec" got it returned right back to where I bought it.

I had the same exact issued with my old silver drip modern. Just surface cracks but exactly in same spot as yours... and John and the boys were great with tips,etc. Unfortunate that it happens in such a great crafted guitar...

My S6 has em and it was from when it was shipped to me from another forum member. It happens and almost every bolt on guitar with a neck joint like that has cracks.

Back