Suhr's Neck Profiles, Tones and Construction

Adambomb

So I've been really wanting to play some Suhr guitars, but there are no dealers around in the area. Closest is Willcutt Guitars and thats 4 hours away in Lexington, KY. I've been debating to make that drive for awhile now but just haven't had the time. I live th idea of Suhr's cause them seem easy to play and have good articualtion and clarity with good amounts of gain. My questions are pretty simply... From the owners and past owners... Please tell me about some Suhr's.
Are Suhr's construction pretty consistent?

There are SO many models.. Which model and pickups would be the best "all around" for several different tones from classic rock, blues, hard rock & metal?

Neck shapes: What is the modern elliptical .800 to .850 neck carve similar to compared to other guitars? I have a PRS 25th Anni Custom 24 with a Wide-Thin neck and it plays like a dream but my hand cramps after 5 minutes of shred from the neck not being big enough. I really like the Suhr Moderns but seems most them have the same neck shape of .800 to .850.

**How close are Suhr elliptical .800-.850 necks compared to a PRS 2010 Wide-Thin neck?

I'm looking for just an all around great playing and sounding guitar that has "Les Paul" similar woods and a neck thats no smaller than the 60's slim. Just last week I sold my beloved 2013 Les Paul 59' Reissue cause it just got boring for me to play but liked the tones, so I'm trying to replace that guitar with something thats easy to play will good hard rock, blues and metal tones. This post is long and all over the place but have to see what others think about Suhr guitars for all styles.

Yes, I have emailed Suhr to get some info but also wanted to hear from the owners themselves. Thank you.

Adambomb":4mfp8qpd said:
There are SO many models.. Which model and pickups would be the best "all around" for several different tones from classic rock, blues, hard rock & metal?

Just get a Natural, Red, or Black Satin Modern model and thank me later. ;)

the suhr modern has an elliptical neck. I have never played a guitar that has a similar neck profile. I really liked it when i had it. Has allot of room to put your thumb against the back of the neck which is how i play. I had a suhr modern satin hsh floyd. I would have kept it if i didn't end up hating the floyd rose. I also prefer the feel of the tight grain maple neck guitars with oil finishes. The only thing that drove me nuts was the cutaway! For me it was something i was always thinking about when i played.

Not bashing Suhr . They make nice guitars but had quite a few moderns with both size elliptical necks and never felt comfortable with them. The cutaway thing is a MAJOR design flaw IMO. It is supposed to be a 24 fret "shredder" guitar. Got an Anderson Angel and definitely prefer the "C" shaped neck. The Angel also has no issue at all with the lower horn getting in the way. To be honest, IMO, the Anderson is made a bit better as well. The finish definitely is nicer. I believe that is due to the fact that Tom only makes guitars and he makes A LOT less instruments per year. Anderson spends more time on each guitar.

Back