Swapping a FR1000 for OFR on PRS DW CE-CU24

MikeR515

Ok, I'm new here, this is my first post so forgive me if I do anything wrong. So I have a PRS DW - CE Custom 24 (pic attached). Give or take this guitar's about $2500. My two main gripes with it are that it comes in a gigbag and had a Floyd Rose 1000, the latter of the two being the topic of this post. So the FR1000 is said to be held at the same standard as OFR but this isn't entirely true. The FR1000 is definitely closer to the OFR than it is to a FR-Special. In fact, it's very close to OFR build standards. The fine tuners definitely aren't as smooth as on an OFR. It feels a bit more cumbersome, etc.
But my questions are:
Do I have to swap both the mounting studs and inserts? Or can I just install the new OFR studs into the existing FR1000 inserts that are already in the body? Also, is it OK to leave the FR1000 nut? Or should I replace that as well? And if so what nut is the correct one for this guitar?

Last edited:
Saw something you posted in another thread. I have the same guitar, and no shims between any of the saddles that I can tell. Not having any problems with my FR 1000 - what are your issues, if you don't mind me asking? If you're dead set on changing, just ignore me :rolleyes:

And yeah, only a gig bag is a bit weak, but it's a nice gig bag :unsure:

Saw something you posted in another thread. I have the same guitar, and no shims between any of the saddles that I can tell. Not having any problems with my FR 1000 - what are your issues, if you don't mind me asking? If you're dead set on changing, just ignore me :rolleyes:

And yeah, only a gig bag is a bit weak, but it's a nice gig bag :unsure:
Hey, what's up..... When I mentioned shims I was referring to the NUT not the saddles (although that's an entirely different problem with FR). The nut on my guitar has 2 thin brass shims under it. I also looked at one in my local guitar shop and it had them too. The only reason I'm swapping bridges is because I'm used to OFR. The fine tuners turn smoother, and it is, at the end of the day, superior. The FR1000 is a decent bridge and it would probably be just fine if I were to leave it in. Its certainly better than a FR-Special. BUT mentally I'll know it's not the real deal and that'll bother me. Its just how I am I guess. Plus I had a $200 Sweetwater gift card that needed to be used so I opted to grab the OFR. I only had to add on like another $50-$60 to complete the purchase. As for shims under the saddles.... if you have an under-string radius guage I implore you to check the string radius on the FR1000. It's NEVER right. The OFR is built to a higher spec standard to better match the fingerboard radius. Saddle shims are sometimes needed with the OFR but not like the FR10000. But Floyd Rose sells shims and suggests the usage of them to better match the radius.

Hey Mike, no probs, can't say I've never thought of doing the same. Mine does have a nut shim, looks like 2 small ones on each side and a single metallic piece under the whole nut. I have 3 FR 1000 guitars and this one has the best fine tuners, never lubed 'em but maybe PRS did?

I'll double check my string height but at a glance it follow the radius well, and no problems with it at all.

Let us know how the swap goes, are you changing the block?

Hey Mike, no probs, can't say I've never thought of doing the same. Mine does have a nut shim, looks like 2 small ones on each side and a single metallic piece under the whole nut. I have 3 FR 1000 guitars and this one has the best fine tuners, never lubed 'em but maybe PRS did?

I'll double check my string height but at a glance it follow the radius well, and no problems with it at all.

Let us know how the swap goes, are you changing the block?
Hey thanks for replying! Yeah changing the block as well. Also if you could check how high the low and high E strings are at the 12th fret that would be awesome. Thanks!

Hey, no problemo! Let me know how it sounds when all done man! I have 2/64" on the high E and between 3 and 4/64" on the low E.

Hey, no problemo! Let me know how it sounds when all done man! I have 2/64" on the high E and between 3 and 4/64" on the low E.
I keep my low E between 4/64'ths and 5/64'ths. My high E is dead on 3/64'ths. That's how my Gibson's are anyway. On FR's I run the action a bit lower usually but it's tough on the PRS I'm putting the OFR on because of its 10" radius. As far as the bridge swap, I'm almost there. I ordered a set of Hollowpoints for it to help with intonation adjustments. I had to wait for them in the mail. That's ultimately what slowed things down. They came yesterday. When I put them on I didn't like the way they sat under the fine tuners. I feel the regular string lock posts ride under the fine tuners a lot smoother. Hollowpoints on a FR looks great though lol! If you haven't seen them before look them up, they're nice. Anyway, now its just a matter of finding the time to do the swap. I've had a lot going on lately. But I'll get it done sooner rather than later. That's for sure. I'll let you know how things turn out.

Last edited:
Back