Swapping speakers in 4x12 -solder or clips?

If you're going to keep the speakers, solder. If you're not sure, clips. Personally I use clips since I have to change speakers sometimes. I will say, if you crimp the spade terminals properly and they fit tight, you should be good unless you move the cab a lot for gigs...then, you're back to soldering

I love the ease of spade connectors - but I love the reliability of solder. The sound man in a band I played for used the following method on PA cabinets: First, gently squeeze the contacts of the spade connector with a needle nose so they clip nice and snug - after connecting them to the tabs on the speakers, heat each spade connector from the bottom with your iron and flow a drop of solder in the top. If you ever need to swap speakers, warm the connector with one hand and gently pull with the other at the base of the connector with a needle nose to keep from getting burned. Warm the connector back up and gently push it onto the tab of the new speaker.

Kind of the best of both worlds. Much easier than traditional soldering - where you often wish you had a 3rd hand to hold the speaker wire in place while you have the iron in one hand and the solder in the other. The spade connectors hold everything in place for you. And the drop of solder on/in each connector solves the risk of vibrating loose over time.

Much easier than traditional soldering - where you often wish you had a 3rd hand to hold the speaker wire in place while you have the iron in one hand and the solder in the other.

No need to hold the solder. You properly tin the cable end and the speaker solder tab and just unite them with the iron. This is the right way.

Back