Talk me in to/out of a Jubilee 100

You’re having a real hard time understanding the use of the word Master aren’t you.
1713628639178.png

Like most of my opinions/advice, it's old! I had a couple of original Silver Jubilees (2553 short head 50W w/ matching 2x12 and 2555 long head 100W w/ matching 4x12) and later a Slash sig. They were cool amps, and at that time had pretty decent effects loops. (Nothing remarkable in anything in the last 25 years though.) I'd say they're more of a single channel amp with three modes, two of which are footswitchable, but none of them are independent. I never really got the two channels to play well together for live use. Lots of other amps of the era are like that, but I've found others to be more amenable to it. YMMV of course, and it wouldn't matter at home.

I always thought the SJ would make really cool hard rock amps. They sounded nice for a gained up old-school Marshall out of the box, and as noted above have a more reactive EQ and do have the two footswitchable sounds. But at the end of the day, for metal, I always ended up back at the tried-n-true 2203 with a boost pedal out front. The SJ didn't do anything for me with extra knobs and controls that actually made it more functional and it all required a compromise in tone.

Also, there's only one actual master volume control. The so-called Lead Master isn't a master at all, but instead pulls directly off the clipping diodes in the lead channel/mode in the middle of the preamp. It's primary job is to balance the two channels. The input gain is shared between both channels as it pulls directly off V1. It changes how much gain both the clean and lead channel have and a large part of why it's really hard to dial in the two optimally at the same time for me. (I have other amps with similar setups from that era, and for whatever reason I find that shared input gain easier to manage in them, but admittedly nothing from Marshall did it.)

Like most of my opinions/advice, it's old! I had a couple of original Silver Jubilees (2553 short head 50W w/ matching 2x12 and 2555 long head 100W w/ matching 4x12) and later a Slash sig. They were cool amps, and at that time had pretty decent effects loops. (Nothing remarkable in anything in the last 25 years though.) I'd say they're more of a single channel amp with three modes, two of which are footswitchable, but none of them are independent. I never really got the two channels to play well together for live use. Lots of other amps of the era are like that, but I've found others to be more amenable to it. YMMV of course, and it wouldn't matter at home.

I always thought the SJ would make really cool hard rock amps. They sounded nice for a gained up old-school Marshall out of the box, and as noted above have a more reactive EQ and do have the two footswitchable sounds. But at the end of the day, for metal, I always ended up back at the tried-n-true 2203 with a boost pedal out front. The SJ didn't do anything for me with extra knobs and controls that actually made it more functional and it all required a compromise in tone.

Also, there's only one actual master volume control. The so-called Lead Master isn't a master at all, but instead pulls directly off the clipping diodes in the lead channel/mode in the middle of the preamp. It's primary job is to balance the two channels. The input gain is shared between both channels as it pulls directly off V1. It changes how much gain both the clean and lead channel have and a large part of why it's really hard to dial in the two optimally at the same time for me. (I have other amps with similar setups from that era, and for whatever reason I find that shared input gain easier to manage in them, but admittedly nothing from Marshall did it.)
When I used them for a while in the 90’s I left them on the lead channel and put a GE-7 in the loop for a lead volume boost. Volume roll off for slightly cleaner.

Back