Tourmater MIDI work around.

digi2t

For those who like to DIY, Highly Liquid makes the MIDIWidget board that one can use to do the switching on the Tourmaster via MIDI. This allows those who already incorporate MIDI in there rigs to ditch the Egnater footswitch from the pedalboard. In my case, I recently picked up a Tourmaster on the cheap, and did not have the Egnater footswitch board. I do however use MIDI extensively....

I had an older Highly Liquid MSA-R board laying about doing nothing, so I made a MIDI interface box so as I can switch channels, effects loop, and reverb via MIDI commands. The MSA-R board isn't as fancy, or as comprehensive, as the MIDIWidget, but it does the job just fine. Basically, it takes a MIDI PC (Program Change) command, and by switching the appropriate relays on the MSA-R board, does the switching on the Tourmaster. The box itself has a MIDI in, MIDI thru (for aading other MIDI gear downstream), and a straight 8 pin cable that connects to the Tourmaster. There's a power on LED, as well as a communication LED. An opening allows access to the dip switches for MIDI channel selection. The MSA-R has a 5v regulator built onto the board, so the +12v from the Tourmaster powers the box, eliminating the need for an external power supply. The MIDIWidget also carries the same voltage regulator set up. The only big difference between the MSA-R and the Widget (apart from greater programming capability) is that the MSA-R comes with the 8 relays, whereas the Widget does not. They must be added on seperately. Still, adding four 5vdc relays is a small price to pay for the increased flexibilty.

Anyway, here's my gizmo...

There's a programming utility available on the net (MOOSE) that takes the pain out programming the MSA-R. It's graphical, so there's no need to type out all the sysex manually.

Back