Two Notes Capto x 16Ohms / 8 ohms AMP & 8 ohms Cab

andressavannah

I purchased the Captor x 16 ohms, but my 50W tube amp 8 ohms and my cab is 8 ohms, is there any issue with the use of the Capto x 16?

Hello

What is the brand and model of your amp, so I can see what outputs you have on your amp?
Using a Captor X 16 with an 8 ohms amp and a 8 ohms cabinet, will lead to impedance mismatch depending on how the attenuator of the Captor X is used.:

- VOLUME LEVEL on FULL position: the attenuator is bypassed. The output acts as a THROUGH output. The impedance shown to your amp is the cabinet's impedance. Using the 8 ohms output of the amp with the 8 ohms cabinet , the impedance matches.

- VOLUME LEVEL on LOW or halfway position: the attenuator is in use. The impedance shown to the amp is the Captor X's one, which is 16 ohms. You have an impedance mismatch in this case.
You have an impedance mismatch albeit a tolerable one. This article will help you understand more about impedance mismatch and what you need to be careful about:

https://support.two-notes.com/knowledgebase.php?article=321
you can use the Captor X 16 with your amp but you need to be careful.

Thanks!.
My amp is a custom hand made tube 50 watts amp. This amp has 3 outputs, 4, 8 and 16 ohms, but the cabinet is 8 ohms.
The manufacturer of the amp said to me that should be no problem is I use the 16 ohm load in the 8 ohm output.

If you have a 16 ohms output from your amp, use the 16 ohms output so you are matching the Captor X's impedance in 2 positions out of the 3 of the Volume Level switch.

Yes but: position 1 (full:) mismatch, the amp output of 16 ohms connected to (bypass) the 8 ohm cab, position middle and low of the switch is ok, it is correct?

Yes for position 1 (FULL) ou have a mismatch. As he amp builder has told you his amp is perfectly designed to work with an 8 ohms load, you will be fine.

POsition 2 and 3 (halfway and LOW), the impedance matches, everything is perfect.

Back