V1b voltage divider differences

ledvedder

I'm currently working on a dual gain build. I'm using a 68k/68k divider after the 1st gain pot, into v1b. I see some of Ceriatone's layouts (Yeti, Chupa) don't use this configuration. They use 150k into v1b with a 0.001uF cap to ground. What are the differences in these 2 designs?

I don't know that I'd necessarily use a divider like that with dual gain pots. Probably not necessary, but there are no rules here. Your second (and first) gain pots are also dividers, just variable. So you're dumping signal in numerous spots. The 150k/ 1nf is a better option in this scenario, in my opinion. But I also don't know the rest of the circuit.

68k/68k is dumping a lot of signal, making for tight bass, a brighter sound and less gain. This is good in a high gain circuit with only one gain pot between v1b and v2a, to control the amount of overall signal in the amp and keep things tight. However, if you now have a gain pot between v1a and v1b, it may no longer be necessary. You can simply run a resistor from the input or output lug of the gain pot to ground to reduce signal to your liking.

The 150k/ 1nf is not a voltage divider. In this case, the 150k is a grid stopper. It's job is reducing very high frequencies and reducing the chances of oscillation. The 1nf to ground is simply removing more highs, albeit lower into the frequency range than the 150k is, from the signal.

Last edited:
These are the 2 layouts I'm working with. But I'm sticking with 2k7/0.68 for the 1st 2 gain stages. 0.0022 and 0.022 on the 1st 2 coupling caps. And no pussy trimmer. I just have 470k/470k with 470pF bypass after gain 2.
Yeti-50-28-Jan-2021.jpg
Gargoyle-50W-10-June-2020 (1).jpg

I like 68k/68k in a dual-gain, Jose-style circuit. Helps keep things tight. I don't like Ceriatone's 150k/82K (feel control engaged). Really... you just gotta try different combinations and see what you like. It's easy and quick to swap out resistors here. You can even use a pot and adjust in real time.

Last edited:
I like the 68k/68k divider in a dual-gain, Jose-style circuit. Helps keep things tight. I don't like Ceriatone's 150k/82K (feel control engaged). Really... you just gotta try different combinations and see what you like. It's easy and quick to swap out resistors here. You can even use a pot and adjust in real time.
I went with a 68k/100k divider. I like the response that's giving me.

It's actually 100k from gain 1 wiper to ground, then a 68k grid stopper into v1b.

This is what I mentioned in my initial post. Eliminate that 68k/68k and just run a resistor from either lug 1 or the wiper (or both) to ground. Get a decade box and a set of alligator clips. Change resistor values as you play and note the change in gain, feel and tightness. It's a big deal.

Back