Vibrato technique issue/question

Anolin

I have this issue where when I use vibrato on the 1st and 2nd strings, my finger(s) will hit the next string and cause it to ring out and I was wondering if anyone had any tips for this?

Example: I bend the 2nd string on the 12th fret up one full step, give it some vibrato and sometimes I'll make the G string ring out. This happens with both bent and non-bent notes and happens more on the 1st string, less on the 2nd string and so forth. I mainly do the BB King "butterfly" style type of vibrato if this helps.

Thanks in advance for your feedback!

Are you using one or more fingers to vibrato? I know when I vibrato, if I use one finger, I lay it more flat to mute the other strings. If I am using two or three fingers, I use those other fingers to mute the rest.

It could also be that you contact on the string is lower, so your finger touches when you vibrato. My fingers tend to be more centered or slightly above the string, so when I vibrato I rarely touch any other strings, and I tend to have quite a wide-styled vibrato.

Qweklain":eebccpay said:
Are you using one or more fingers to vibrato? I know when I vibrato, if I use one finger, I lay it more flat to mute the other strings. If I am using two or three fingers, I use those other fingers to mute the rest.

It could also be that you contact on the string is lower, so your finger touches when you vibrato. My fingers tend to be more centered or slightly above the string, so when I vibrato I rarely touch any other strings, and I tend to have quite a wide-styled vibrato.

I can use all my fingers for vibrato so it just depends on where the note lands and which finger I have fretted at that moment. I play with my action a little high compared to some so dunno if that would have anything to do with it...

When you say the contact on my finger is lower... Do you mean down farther on my finger tip? I do notice that my finger turns more into the string due to the door knob turning like effect when I use vibrato... Hmm. As creepy as it sounds, I may need to play in front of a mirror to see if I catch myself doing something wrong.

If you are using higher action often the instrument will be more resonate, I do the same. It just sounds thicker. I think what it really comes down to is figuring out the the best way to mute with your style of playing. Myself I use a very wide vibrato often. I often do vibrato and bends at the same time. My finger when I am pulling down are being muted with fret hand and when pushing up the tips of my fingers mute the strings above. I also am muting with my picking hand all the time, pretty much.

stephen sawall":1g2up5s3 said:
If you are using higher action often the instrument will be more resonate, I do the same. It just sounds thicker. I think what it really comes down to is figuring out the the best way to mute with your style of playing. Myself I use a very wide vibrato often. I often do vibrato and bends at the same time. My finger when I am pulling down are being muted with fret hand and when pushing up the tips of my fingers mute the strings above. I also am muting with my picking hand all the time, pretty much.

You're totally right about higher action and the better tone it gives but yeah, I've been practicing tonight with no effects and on the clean channel and I'm just not muting the other strings like I should. I've also noticed I don't play enough on my finger tips, which leaves more finger on the fret board to touch other strings. That's easy enough to fix sitting down but it's gonna be a bitch standing up... Not unless I want my guitar up to my armpits anyways lol!

Thanks again!

Anolin":qa10tyg2 said:
stephen sawall":qa10tyg2 said:

You're totally right about higher action and the better tone it gives but yeah, I've been practicing tonight with no effects and on the clean channel and I'm just not muting the other strings like I should. I've also noticed I don't play enough on my finger tips, which leaves more finger on the fret board to touch other strings. That's easy enough to fix sitting down but it's gonna be a bitch standing up... Not unless I want my guitar up to my armpits anyways lol!

Thanks again!

I play with my guitar lower than most ..... I just raise the neck for certain things .... that may help. Like a lot of things .... it is only a matter of doing it till you do it with out thinking about it.

This is the thing I do. I basically do all my bends upward toward my face. Then, I use my right hand to mute. Laying the fat part of my thumb/palm on the next couple of strings below the one I am bending. It's a good habit to get into anyway, as it can help you remember your place physically, and it can mute errant pick strikes. Low E is the only one I bend downward and don't do any mutes, but I am just more careful with that bend.

If your using the 3rd finger to bend, the tip of your 2nd finger should be (could be) touching the 3rd string, effectively muting it. I use two fingers to bend (2nd and 3rd) so the underside of my 1st finger will mute the 1st string. The outside edge of my right palm mutes the rest. Good luck.

Just an update on this: I've been making it a point to play more on my fingertips (no pun intended) and that seems to help out a ton. Thanks for all the replies!

I can relate. my vibrato has evolved into more like popeye violently shaking someone by their throat. very visceral, wide power shakes. if I'm not careful, I can have 2 to 4 strings ringing open because of movement. I need to get back to my "steve vai" like vibrato. very musical and controlled. but this metal music is ruining me. LOL

Kaleiwahea":zn1374xf said:
If your using the 3rd finger to bend, the tip of your 2nd finger should be (could be) touching the 3rd string, effectively muting it. I use two fingers to bend (2nd and 3rd) so the underside of my 1st finger will mute the 1st string. The outside edge of my right palm mutes the rest. Good luck.

This, for sure.....the tip of a finger behind the bend.

Kaleiwahea":3gzbpbh0 said:

That is what I do to mute the string above as well, was never really taught but I figured it out due to needing a way to stop the additional ringing. That is the trick to playing dimed marshalls or using a ton of gain, controlling the rest of the strings while playing.

Back